3 months ago we reported on a set of triplets born at the Western Regional Hospital. Well there is another set of triplets making the news.

Yesterday was triple the joy for Martha Cho when she delivered triplets at the KHMH. The triplets made their debut today and 7NEWS was at the hospital.

Monica Bodden
"Martha, how are you feeling today?"

Martha Cho
"I am feeling well right now."

Monica Bodden
"Did you expect to have triplets?"

Martha Cho
"I thank God."

Monica Bodden
"When did you first find out that you were having 3 babies instead of one?"

Martha Cho
"On the 24th of January I found out that I will have 3 babies."

Monica Bodden
"How was that news for you?"

Martha Cho
"I am so happy."

On Sunday night, 19 year old Martha Cho and her common-law husband Anastacio Cowo left their home in Kings Village on the Hummingbird Highway and headed to Belize City to deliver not 1 but 3 babies. Cho gave birth to two girls and one baby boy last night at the KHMH. The triplets are all premature, born at only 33 weeks and weigh from 2.9 pounds to 3.7 pounds.

The first was delivered at 11:31 followed by the other two babies at 11:32 and 11:33 last night. The babies are in the Neonatal intensive care unit on observation - and are doing just fine.

Adrian Coye- Acting Director of Medical Services, KHMH
"Certainly these are the first triplets for the new year 2012. We've had before but also for the New Year we've had four sets of twins and, in fact, 160 births. We are in a bumper season I suppose."

"We've had triplets here before but it's very uncommon I would say and we are happy that the births were successful. The cesarean section was performed by members of the Cuban brigade; Dr. Cardinez and Dr. James. Of course, they are tirelessly working to make sure that everything is good."

Martha Cho and her common-law-husband Anastacio Cowo are first time parents- ready to take on the challenge of having 3 newborn babies around the house.

Anastacio Cowo
"I feel happy and excited because it's my first baby(s)."

Geovanni Brackett, reporter
"Are these the first triplets in either of your families?"

Anastacio Cowo
"Yes."

Monica Bodden
"When did you first find out that you were having triplets?"

Anastacio Cowo
"From the day I took her to get an ultrasound in Dangriga."

Monica Bodden
"What came to your mind? You are not having one or two; you are having 3 kids."

Anastacio Cowo
"I think that I have to work hard and to do what's best for them to grow well."

And the babies had a big surprise coming their way from the San Cas group of companies.

Aisha Rudon - Marketing Manager, San Cas
"We are here to present the mother Martha and Anastacio - parents of the triplets a hamper. Also we decided to award them with a case of Huggies Active Set pampers and a case of Huggies Natural Care Wipes every month for 2012. I am sure they will need it."

The babies were delivered by C-Section and they are in good health. They will soon be heading to their new home in Kings Village on the Hummingbird Highway.

Channel 7

Middlesex Villagers gets 3

Kings Village, an offshoot of Middlesex in the Stann Creek District, has never made it into any newscast. It's a predominantly safe and quiet Mayan Village with an estimated population of less than two hundred. But it has just increased the population by three. At eleven thirty p.m. on Sunday night, a young villager gave birth to triplets at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital. News Five Jose Sanchez spoke to the proud parents and a representative of a corporate citizen that will assist the family throughout the year.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting

A smooth birth is an occasion to celebrate; twins bring double the joy but triplets signify attention from the media. And this morning the media joined a nineteen-year-old mother and a twenty five year old father from Middlesex Village in the south, who are now first time parents of three.

Jose Sanchez

"When you became pregnant, were you aware that you were going to have three kids?"

Martha Cho, Mother of Triplets

Martha Cho

"No I neva know I mi wah have three kids, but when I do the ultrasound I know how god give me it too. So I thank god for the gift he gave me."

Jose Sanchez

"Weren't you afraid to know you have three kids growing inside?"

Martha Cho

"No and this is my first birth."

Jose Sanchez

"Did you take any special vitamins; did you have to change your eating habits?"

Martha Cho

"I was taking lone vitamins."

Jose Sanchez

"Was it difficult for you over that nine months?"

Martha Cho

"No. I'm ok. Everything I am not sick, nothing. Yesterday I noh got no pain, but how they are giving me vitamins for my blood pressure, then I started pains."

Jose Sanchez

"The triplets-you have names? What are their sexes?"

Martha Cho

"Right now I noh got no names for them but it's two girls and 1 boy."

Jose Sanchez

"Are you aware of anyone in your family or her family having triplets?"

Anastasio Cowo, Father of Triplets

Anastasio Cowo

"Yes one of my sister has twins."

Jose Sanchez

"Well I know it must have been difficult. How did you assist your wife during this pregnancy? She had the burden of carrying these three children. What was your role?"

Anastasio Cowo

"My role was to make sure that she takes care of herself home when I was not there."

Dr. Adrian Coye says the birthing process by Caesarian Section was flawless.

Adrian Coye

Dr. Adrian Coye, Cardiothoracic Surgeon, KHMH

"I'm happy we have triplets-the first for the year. It's not uncommon to have triplets but I guess it's far less common than having twins. They were delivered by caesarian section. The three babies are quite well-one male, two female and this was down on the twenty-ninth; on the Sunday. So far they are under observation doing very well as far as the pediatricians have said. And we are happy with their progress and it is just a matter of waiting to see how they evolve. Dr. Cardinez, the member of the Cuban brigade was the surgeon or gynecologist and a medical officer to make sure this event was a successful one."

Jose Sanchez

"So the weight of the children; their health so far?"

Dr. Adrian Coye

"The birth weight for the male was three point seven-five pounds and subsequently for the females about two point nine-five approximately each. As we have told, they are quite well-one of them requiring a little bit of oxygen. But with their birth at thirty-three weeks is still a bit early. Usually thirty-eight weeks is what you refer to as a full term. There is a period where they need to have a bit more maturation of their lungs to happen. But all the measures needed to make sure that they are safe have been done."

The cost of rearing one child can put a family in the poor house, and three means three times the cost. But one corporate citizen, the Santiago Castillo Group of Companies, is trying to help.

Aisha Trapp Rudon

Aisha Trapp Rudon, Marketing Manager, Santiago Castillo Group

"Santiago Castillo Group of Companies is awarding the mother with triplets. We are awarding them with a case of diapers and a case of wipes-well the entire twelve months. So that is a case every month. We now that taking care of a baby is a lot so imagine three of them? And I know that they will use it. A case of huggies active set and a case of huggies natural care wipes. Awarded them a package as well that contains Ovaltine which is very good for mothers for breastfeeding and the hospital is on a project that promotes breastfeeding and we are with that as well. So we awarded them with some Ovaltine and also some huggies bath and body products for babies."

Jose Sanchez

"When it comes to the Santiago Group, how do you react to their willingness to help you with some things?"

Anastasio Cowo

"Well, I would appreciate if they will help me more with my three kids."

Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Channel 5