Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
On Thursday December 4, at approximately 2:20PM Tropic Air flight #281 was en route from San Pedro to Belize City Municipal. Upon landing on the rain soaked runway, the aircraft slid off into the shallow water at the eastern end. There were 5 passengers including a medivac patient and pilot on board. While we continue to investigate the incident, our primary concern is for the safety of our crew and passengers. No injuries were reported.

Click photos for more photos

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Engine Failure: Tropic Air Takes A Plunge

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Shooting & plane crash victim Carlos Najera is in stable condition in the Belize City Hospital, after a very bad day (yesterday) for him. The bullet hit his tendon which will require surgery and therapy in order for him to walk normal again.

Ambergris Today

“I was there when the plane came down from the airstrip and I noticed it hit in the middle then it came down the machine was not working because the propeller had stopped and when he go there he started to make a turn in order to brake and therefore the plan hit. As you notice one of the wheels were bent. No passengers were injured so..”

Frank Vernon was at the Belize Municipal Airport when he saw Tropic Air flight #281 plunged into the sea, a few feet away from the runway. The plane was attempting to land, coming in from San Pedro to Belize. It happened about 2:20 in the afternoon and inside the plane were 4 passengers and the pilot. No one was seriously injured. It was minutes before six o'clock that the Cessna plane, with the help of a crane and the maneuvering of staff, was pulled out of the waters unto a trailer. The plane's right wing and wheel were extensively damage. Manuel Heredia Jr., the Minister of Civil Aviation, arrived on the scene. He declined comment because he did not know much about the incident. An investigation has been launched and today we spoke to the Chief Operations officer in the department, Nigel Carter, more about it.

NIGEL CARTER

“Upon attempting to land the aircraft was unable to come to a stop within the available amount of runway. The aircraft excited the runway and ended up coming to full stop in the water just beyond the run way.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“In terms of preliminary results can you say whether it was mechanical failure or human error?”

NIGEL CARTER

“Okay due to international standards and our own present regulations we are unable to speculate as to the cause of the accident due to the fact that it might prejudice the investigation itself.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Following this accident we were told it's not the first time it has happened, about two or three weeks ago there was a similar incident, were you aware of that?”

NIGEL CARTER

“I would have to get back to you on that, I would have to research on it and then I could inform you all about that.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“But you have gotten those reports?”

NIGEL CARTER

“I don’t have any reports on it, I would have to do some research then I would have to inform you all later on.”

And it will be much later before the investigation reveals what exactly went wrong. Whether mechanical failure or human error, Carter says that depending on the results, punitive actions can be taken.

NIGEL CARTER

“It's all dependent on what we find. In many instances if there is need to dig deeper and find out more specific information then the time frame does expand so it's all dependent on where the investigation takes us.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“In a case like this for example if it were human error or mechanical failure are there any sanctions that can be brought upon the company or the pilot?”

NIGEL CARTER

“There are no punitive actions that are taken as the direct result of an air craft accident. However if we find that there was gross negligence or a violation then we make move with punitive action.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Will that include pulling the license from the company.”

NIGEL CARTER

“With reference to that matter I would have to consult the civil aviation act and that will detail exactly what measures we could take.”

From the long hours that the plane was in the water, the fuel of it leaked out, spreading outward and causing David Choe to be concern.

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“From the long hours the plane was in the water the fuel of it leaked out, spreading outward and causing David Chu a lot of problems.”

DAVID CHOE

“I was just taking a walk with my dog and I noticed that in the water there was a lot of shiny colors and automatically you could tell that it was fuel because you could smell it. So I am kind of concerned because that could catch fire. I would say it's really bad, all along the coastline and I hope someone will come do something about it because it's an environmental risk, I catch my fish from there every morning.”

HIPOLITO NOVELO

“Flight Schedules are back to normal, the plane is insured as dictated by law and the international civil aviation organization has been notified of the matter.”

Flight schedules are back to normal. The plane is insured as dictated by law and the International Civil Aviation Organization has been notified of the matter.

LOVEFM

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.