Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
#280586 05/18/08 12:43 AM
Mycol in Jurong Bird Park - x.jpg
HOW TO SIZE AN IMAGE

Here is a very TECHNICAL layout for sizing images in Photoshop. I don't know if the exact same words are used in other programs but the basics are the same. I have done this step by step and hope it helps someone.
The guys would rattle off numbers and my head would spin.
It took me seeing it laid out like this to GET IT.

Here's a picture sent to me for me to submit to the newspaper.
The first thing I do with every image is save it - untouched - to a Tiff file.
Then I open that and start sizing it.
The first thing to do is write down the numbers that show up when, in the tool bar, you click on "image."
This particular picture showed the following:
PixelDimensions: 17M
Width 2112 pixels
Height 2816 pixels
Document Size"
Width 11.73 inches
Height 15.64 inches
Resolution - 180 pixels/inch

There are check marks in both boxes
Constrain Proportions
Resample Image
AND the word 'Bicubic' shows in the box

NOW - you can work with pixels or inches - kinda like metric or whatever we call the other.
I like to work in inches as this way I decide what size I want the print to be. My standard is 6 x 4" or 4 x 6" and I like to save my Jpegs at 300 resolutions.

You can pick any size you want the key is to never let your edited size print exceed the numbers in the Pixel Dimensions box. If you do your image will be 'pixilated."
Again choosing "image" in the tool bar you can select your size.

On this particular picture I wanted to crop out some of the unnecessary stuff so I simply chose my cropping tool and up in the tool bar I get a couple of boxes. In here I entered 4" for width and 6" for height.
In the tool bar I selected "image" and here are the new numbers that came up"
Pixel Dimensions 12.2M
Width 1685 Pixels
Height 2527 Pixels
Document Six
Width 4.001
Height 6
Resolution 421.67
This resolution is too large to send across the internet and newspapers want their resolution to be 300 pixel/inches so I change it to that.

Now my new numbers are Pixel Dimensions 6.18M, W - 1200, H - 1800
As you see all my numbers are below the original level and I have a good quality image that will go across the internet without taking too long.

HOWEVER, This forum isn't taking this so I'm going to change the resolution to 72

ANY QUESTIONS? LOL
4 Comments
No questions. Wow thanks for that . I've got holes in my computer basics and this helps a lot.
I don't want to waste Marty's Bandwidth with image that is more than necessary to be viewed well, so we all can post more buy posting efficiently here on the board.
Does that make sense?
Thanks again, and again do you remember introducing me to Photo Shop? It was a biggie for me. :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
OP Offline
Elbert - I sure do - and now look at the pictures you post - way over my head. But really, get over this north thing! LOL
Some of us are north and some of you are w-a-y north.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
North? did you say North?
I've recently discovered, by measuring and careful study of an accurate map, that I'm also on the South half of the island. Its been a shock and I'm in the midst a personality crisis.It may take me a long period of adjustment before I'm OK with it.
so far I haven't noticed any logic impairments. I still feel relatively normal.However I do feel more comfortable wearing my aluminum foil hat for protection.

i remember the first time i saw photoshop. having had a color darkroom for years, it was staggering. makes a darkroom look like a very blunt tool.

i'm worried elbert. you are north and south? i may have to borrow that hat.

as far as bandwidth goes, i kinda like it when the click to larger pic is LARGE. its good for me!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.