Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#301148 09/28/08 11:42 PM
15 Images
What damages the roads

This afternoon the tide was out and some fill had been added to the road just north of the bridge THANKS TO WHOEVER DID IT!
I took these pictures to show the cause of the ongoing road damage.
I am not an engineer but I'm sure some of you can report how heavy these various loads are. Each time one of these pieces of equipment goes through the soft sand several inches of mud is displaced.
My contention is that those who are using the road and causing the problem should be responsible for maintaining the road.
Peter - As I have said before - but you don't want to hear it - Neither Bob Kjorlein (The Cloisters) or Chris Barenfanger (The Bermuda's) has ever had a piece of heavy equipment on what is known as the road. The access paths that they use are kept in good condition.
Chris Barenfanger actually paid his crew and bought materials to lay down two cement treads the width of golf carts and that afternoon - while the cement was still wet - one of the front loaders owned by a developer further north unnecessarily drove through it. The tread marks are literally - set in concrete.
11 Comments
Great Photos Scubalady
Almost everyone I speak with remarks about their taxes and the Town Board building a decent road.
Waiting for this to happen is probably foolish. The Town board has no plans to build a road nor feels the responsibility. The attitude is to let those investing pay for the roads.
Forgetting the fantasy about a road and buying a boat is very practical.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
There was an article recently in the island newspapers about the Mayor from Chetumal visiting and one of the things they discussed was a plan to build a road from San Pedro to Xcalak.

Great Idea It could connect to North Ambergris International Airport.

White Sands Dive Shop
The plan for a road from San Pedro to Xcalak has been shelved for the immediate future.

Yeah, just what we need,right? Imagine a major road running along thru our quiet , peaceful , part of Heaven with tour busses running up and down.

P
P
Seems to me that the only long-term solution is to build a raised concrete causeway from the bridge past RV to where the land starts to rise. Built on solid foundations (pilings) it should withstand anything mother Nature is likely to throw at it, as well as being immune even to heavy traffic. This could have been built at the start of RV development and should have been imposed as a pre-condition. Given that it wasn't (?) I don't know now who'd pay for it - it wouldn't be cheap. In the long term though it would be the best value, as well as being far more pleasant for the people of RV to look out on and use.

Of course, instead of the expense and disruption of making up the existing road all the way to the border to motorcoach standards, we could take the Seattle approach of building a concrete highway on stilts all the way down the seafront. Built properly it'd be immune even to violent storms, and concrete bunkers could be added at intervals to provide hurricane shelters.

S
S
Six lanes or eight?

It probably went on the same shelf as the North Ambergris International , North Hilton and all the other pipe dreams people fantasize about the islands development.
Isn't living the reality here fun and listening to all these type things humorous.
I sometime am glad the Town Board doesn't have any money , What if they could finance one of the harebrained schemes.

White Sands Dive Shop
P
P
Originally Posted by jesse
Six lanes or eight?

A simple road the width of the present one, with one or two passing spaces, but with foundations that wouldn't get washed away. By "raised" I just mean a few inches, so at any normal time it would be above the level of the lagoon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.