Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#433548 03/20/12 08:15 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

You are looking in the forefront at the once famous Ambergris Lodge, one of the pioneer hotels in San Pedro when it was still a village. Founded in the late 1960's, The Ambergris Lodge played a vital role in the early development of tourism when Maya Island Air was operating three daily flights from Belize City with connections to the International Airport. The Ambergris Lodge offered fine accommodation right on the beach, with full time service of a restaurant and bar. It was founded by Mr. George Stefanco who had made San Pedro his new home along with other family members. It was one of San Pedro's very successful hotel where guests enjoyed the magnificent view of the Great Barrier Reef and slept with open windows to enjoy the tranquility and freshness of the night. Today the Mayan Princess occupies that spot after The Ambergris Lodge paved the way for first class guest accommodation. To the left right across the street you can appreciate Fido's Hotel, which was a member of the Coral Beach Chain of hotels. (Flashback photo submitted by Tanya Musso)

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

And, you could get a great bloody mary there.
Also, it was the sale of the Ambergris Lodge to a new owner that resulted in Jack Westerhold, Ray Bowers and Dixie, now Dixie Bowen, arriving to the island.

Last edited by bywarren; 03/20/12 10:45 AM.
L
L
Stayed there for the winter of 1979-80(my youth,..I think)...Dixie was my landlady...I'm back again after some 30 yrs(retired)...still feel like I did then...I wonder why...!-Lincoln

I remember peeing in the toilet of the bar downstairs and thinking outside would be healthier and safer!
met Jack for the first time in that bar.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Thanks elbert for relating your bathroom experience. That is valuable information and keeps in context with many of your posts. smirk

E
E
You aint lost a step, bywarren smile

If I could only keep up with you. Each time we got together this trip you were with a different woman. cry

E
E
Not me ! My evil twin brother was on the island as well, telling everyone that he was me. Ive been home for two weeks......

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.