Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD TIMER SANPEDRAN0 IF:

• You used to pee in a white bucket.
  • For Christmas season you were busy rolling out new linoleum on the floor and putting up new curtains.
  • To smell good you used Limacol/Agua de Naranja, or Bay rum.
  • You bathed with a dipper and brushed your teeth on the back porch.

For much more on each of these indicators, CLICK HERE for the rest of this awesome story and photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

• When you got home for lunch during the week and you did not get a piece of pig tail in your beans, you felt cheated and on Sunday you felt cheated if you did not get corned beef soup.
  • Your school supplies were two exercise books and a pencil or pen.
  • You argued which empanadas and garnachas were better- Mrs. Rosita's or Mrs. Lara's.

For much more on each of these indicators, CLICK HERE for the rest of this awesome story and photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

• As soon as I say, "Kaliman", you know what I am referring to. Everyone used to look forward everyday to tune on your radio to enjoy different "radio novelas". (radio soap opera) The boys rushed at 11:30 a.m. as soon as it was school lunch break to listen to an adventure series named "Kazan El Casador". In the late evening about 7p.m.
  • Whenever you used to think of shoes, you first thought that those painful blisters. Easter was coming and you thought of wearing your one and only pair of shoes and you fret over those "sure to come" blisters. Don't laugh but most men were limping by the end of the Good Friday Holy procession.
  • You went to the well at least five times a day. Your first visit to the well was to draw out some water to fill up the buckets for the morning washing of face and brushing of teeth. Your second visit to the well was to pull out several pails of water to fill up some drums which mother would use for her laundry and also filled up some containers in the kitchen to be used for drinking and cooking.

Click and Listen to a Radio Novela of Kaliman -El Hombre Incredible!

Click and Listen to a Radio Novela of Kazan El Casador

C
C
Thank You, Thank you, Thank you..I have had this discussion with my husband every Christmas that we need to change the linoleum. Since we never used it prior to living here. He looks at me like I am crazy, so we only change it every 3 years, and that has always worried me as I am concerned about mold etc under the flooring, and I know in my gut that there is a very good reason why folks change it every Christmas. At least now he knows this is not someting I made up...but I am still not sure of why this is a custom...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

• As a child you used to play cowboys and Indians. What else can you expect if for Christmas the most popular gifts children got were play guns and bow and arrows. And even though we did not have movies to watch the cowboys and Indians, we did have comic books like Roy Rogers and Hop Along Cassidy, Turok, and The Lone Ranger.
  • You grew up using the 'fogon' or fire hearth as well as the one-hole kerosene stove. Oh yes, long before the coming of the butane stoves and electric cooking gadgets, the fire hearth was the main cooking source in San Pedro. Fueled up with some good dry firewood, dried coconut husks or simply some unwanted pieces of wood, you could get a good fire going that was suitable to cook up a good soup, a pot of stew beans, a stew, or even fry fish.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

• On July 15, the first day of the lobster season, you went, "Wow! when you learned that one fisherman delivered only fifty pounds of lobster but yet he earned a whopping $1,000.00.
  • On the first day of the lobster season you used to be extremely excited about the fact that you were going to make a big delivery of your catch and that you would make a lot of money. The old timers did not make a cent for four long months, which was the duration of the closed season.
  • You only knew of two ways of eating lobster and it is by boiling them and then you hash and panfry. The other way was by making a delicious soup with them- a soup called 'chechak' which uses the red recado seasoning and coconut milk.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD TIMER SANPEDRANO IF:
  • Early in the morning you had to rush to the public toilets before your friends made a line at the latrine. All boys and men used these communal/public latrines which were located over the lagoon at the end of each street that led to the lagoon- that is Black Coral Street, Buccaneer Street, Ambergris Street, Pelican Street, and Caribe�a Street. It was a small 4-foot by 4-foot cubicle with a roof and with a smooth piece of wood across where you could sit and "do your thing" right in the lagoon.
  • In your youthful days you had heard that marijuana was smoked by the bad boys at Yabrough area or Majestic Alley but you never got to see a stick of weed yourself here in San Pedro. Marijuana was introduced to San Pedro in the late 1960's or early 1970's by some of the early Belizean district immigrant to San Pedro.
  • In your days you could only buy nightly raffles from some women and children and on Sundays you bought Panama instead of lottery. These nightly raffles included a $15.00 cash prize for 25 cents or a case of lemonade, or some toy.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD TIMER SANPEDRANO IF:
  • You happen to know these police officers: P C Massam, P C Hope, P C Sambula, P C Fuller, P C Smith, P C Sutherland and P C Orio. You not only know them, but you respected them and appreciate their contributions to San Pedro.
  • Your first name happens to be Cleotilda, Teodora, Hilda, Hilaria, Romana, Faustino, Baltazar, Carmelo,Serapio, Anselmo, Anastacio, Ernestina, Basilia, Basilio, Amaton, Secundino, Zosimo, Gertrudis, Arnulfo, and Eduvijes. These are beautiful names, very often saint names found in calendars but only used in San Pedro twenty five years ago or around the 1930's.
  • You remember enjoying over the radio or playing on your record player the following songs: Cerca del Mar, Crei, Aretes de la Luna, Sombras, Quiza, Cielito Lindo, Celoso, Mari es mi Amor, Besame, Paloma Blanca, Cry Me a River, Island in the Sun, Please Release Me, Yellow Bird, Freetown Gial, Whap pan Baron Blis Grave, Spanish Eyes, Brown Eyes, Ballad for Adelaide, South of the Border, Sad Movies, and many others that might come to mind as you read these.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.