Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Special Envoy for Women and Children will be embarking on a countrywide Girl Empowerment Campaign, which will be launched in Belize City on Monday, October 28, 2013. This tour is an extension of the My Precious is Precious initiative, which started with the launch of a child friendly book on "good touch, bad touch" in April of this year.

As we continue efforts to educate the public on sexual abuse of children, the Girl Empowerment Campaign will focus on high school girls. Our aim is to encourage these young ladies to delay their sexual debut and not to give in to the pressures they may face at this critical point in their development. The campaign will also seek to educate teenage girls about sexual abuse, and to provide information for those who have been or are still being victimized on seeking help and recovering from the trauma of these experiences. We want to remind them that their bodies are also precious.

The tour will make 9 stops over 6 days as per the schedule below. In each location, a mini rally will be held in which Mrs. Kim Simplis Barrow and other inspirational speakers hope to inspire the young ladies in attendance to see their true value and cherish their bodies.

Mackeva Westby
Program Coordinator
Special Envoy for Women and Children
Phone: 223-1941/42
Kim Simplis Barrow
4972 Withfield Tower
Coney Drive Business Plaza
Belize City, Belize C.A.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Special Envoy Belize will be kicking off the "My Body is Precious - Girl Empowerment Campaign" at 2:00 pm at the UB Gymnasium today. Let's join in the campaign to remind our girls that they are Beautiful Flowers!

Read more about the Campaign here:

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Kim Simplis Barrow brings motivational message to girls in the south

The national information campaign on the commercial sexual exploitation of children made its latest stop this afternoon in Punta Gorda town.

Hundreds of school girls from the Toledo district gathered at the Sport Complex in PG to hear a message from the Special Envoy for Women and Children Mrs. Kim Simplis Barrow.

The message from Mrs. Barrow to the girls was simply that their body is precious.

On Wednesday, the "My Body Is Precious" tour stopped in Dangriga town where hundreds of girls got to hear a personal message from Mrs. Barrow.

Source

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belizean book gets international recognition

Written by Belizean authors Kim Simplis Barrow and Starla Bradley, "My Body is Precious" has received an Honorable Mention in the category "Best Publication" of the ALAS-IDB Early Childhood Awards.

These Awards are presented by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the ALAS Foundation to recognize the commitment of individuals and organizations working in early childhood development in Latin America and the Caribbean.

"My Body is Precious" provides a basis for talking to children about sexual abuse. Former US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, Kinnevik executive chairman Cristina Stenbeck, ALAS Foundation president Alejandro Santo Domingo, and IDB president Luis Alberto Moreno presented the distinction as part of the ALAS-IDB Awards Ceremony.

The ALAS-IDB Early Childhood Awards recognize innovation, excellence and investments in programs that benefit children younger than six years of age. The recognition given to "My Body is Precious", distinguishes finalists who stand out for their commitment and dedication to early childhood development, whether through their work with vulnerable children or by grappling with issues that are rarely addressed.

The recent spate of sexual abuse in the country prompted Kim Barrow to write this book, which targets children of Belize and beyond, including children with disabilities. Belize's ministry of human development reported that, in 2012, the Child Protection Services received 784 cases of child abuse; 292 of these cases were sexual abuse cases. This includes only reported cases as it is estimated that there may be a larger number of unreported cases, especially in Belize's rural areas.

"My Body is Precious" reflects Belize's ethnic and cultural diversity. To ensure that the story's important message reaches the largest possible number of children, the authors plan to publish a Spanish version soon and to translate the book into some of the ethnic languages spoken in Belize. The book uses age-appropriate language and makes use of culturally sensitive characters in the story. It can be used as a guide by parents, as well as by schools.

Kim Simplis Barrow is the wife of the prime minister of Belize and the special envoy for women and children. She is also global ambassador for Special Olympics International and founder of the Inspiration Center in Belize, the first organization of its kind in Belize to provide therapy and rehabilitation services for children with disabilities.

Starla Bradley is a social worker and program director at the ministry of human development and social transformation.

Caribbean News Now

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

My Body Is Precious

As part of the efforts of the Belize government to fight sexual violence against children, this video makes the book My Body Is Precious available to children and parents in indigenous communities. This video is the result of a collaboration between the Belize Special Envoy for Women and Children, the IDB and Maya and Garifuna communities in Belize.

My Body Is Precious - Garifuna

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.