Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
HELP PLEASE. Have any of you ever brought in extra large containers. I have a steamer trunk that measures 21” D x 23” H x 38” W. I want to fill it with stuff that doesn't weigh a lot, like pillows, posters, straw hats, etc. Does size matter? confused OK – get off the floor and answer my question!
I could strap this to a wheelie and the wheelie could be the 2nd piece checked in. I would then have only my regular sized carryon and handbag.
NEED TO KNOW – as I will start packing tomorrow. laugh
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Airlines have the right to charge you extra when the suitcase or box is over 62 inches total; your bag qualifies for the extra charges, which can be assessed per leg of the journey. It seems to depend on the airline counter agent whether the charges are assessed. We have been charged one time but not another. Newspaper articles say airlines are strict now due to their finances. Good luck!

C
C
Lots of info on continentals web site:

http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage/excess.asp?SID=7052F92768 17454AA8986D6A188DFD94

Interesting to note that there was a Excess Baggage Embargo that prohibited extra bags going to Belize City, but it ended on Jan 15th.

http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/baggage/embargo.asp?SID=7052F927 6817454AA8986D6A188DFD94

---------------------------------------------

Any piece over the free baggage allowance or baggage that exceeds the size and weight limitations (70 lbs (31 kgs) or 62 linear inches (157 cm)) will be subject to additional charges. Excess baggage is transported on a space-available basis and will be carried subject to load capacities of the aircraft. Other restrictions may apply.

Contact Continental Reservations at 1-800-525-0280 to obtain specific rates based on number pieces and size of bags.

Baggage in excess of 100 pounds (45 kilograms) or 115 linear inches (203 cm) will not be accepted as checked baggage.

----------------------------------------------

Edit: Don't forget about the restrictions of the small island hopper airplanes when researching baggage.

T
T
didn't those go out with the titanic?

S
S
...it TOTALLY depends upon the counter agent. We've flown in the past with large heavy bags and have had no problems. On one trip however, we had to abandon a large cooler at the airport as they would not even let us pay extra to bring it as it was larger than the combined 64 inche limit. This past X-mas, the agent at Continental informed me there was an embargo (until jan 15th as noted above) on ANY/ALL oversize bags, so we left items we planned to take at home, only to see people in line around us successfully checking bags the size of elephants. A good rule of thumb seems to be to have enough bags with you to be able to re-pack bags that get flagged as overweight. We also break out the bathroom scale the night we're packing to properly strategize. Over SIZED items are more problematic... Another word of caution: If you're flying Taca, at times they STRICTLY enforce the 15lbs maximum for a carry on limit!!! Do you have any idea how LITTLE 15lbs is??? My wife's purse weigh's more, let alone say your average backpack or laptop bag.

As far as flights once you get to BZE City, we've never had problems with oversized stuff... worse case scenario is that if you're one of the smaller planes, your bags will show up a bit later than you when they're space on a larger plane

To funny Toad......about the trunk!!!My thoughts exactly.

OP Offline
Toad: You know the saying “Everything old is new again”?

I called the American Airline Advantage desk this morning and learned that anything over size (up to a total of 115” – as mentioned by someone else) carries a flat charge of $100. Over weight of 70 lbs. is $100. If it were over sized and over weight it would be $200. Last trip down I was over weight by 8 lbs. and it cost me $100.

I will be flying Tropic from BZE and have seen them load some pretty big stuff.
Thanks for the input.
Wish me luck.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.