Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#93043 10/25/04 02:34 PM
A
Aeriel Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Sat., Oct 16 we arrived at Belize City International airport at approx. 2:30. From the message board, for a flight to Ambergris Caye, we were told to go to the airline with the shortest line of people. This was Maya Island Air. After we had paid our round-trip fare we were told that our flight would leave at 4:00. That's a long wait, but we were told that there wouldn't be a chance to leave earlier.

4:00 came and went and no plane. 4:30 came and went and no plane. I then asked the supervisor, a Diaz Ruperto, when our plane would be arriving. He said that it was getting gas in Belize City and would be there at 4:40. He then disapperared. The man at the counter said it would be 4:50.

Another couple was waiting, also. When it got to be 5:00 and no plane, we were becoming very concerned. Also, the waiting room was empty and the workers were sweeping the floors.

Finally at 5:40 we had our plane trip. The pilot from Ambergris Caye, flew the plane there to leave it overnight.

A warning to all. If you arrive at the international airport in the later afternoon, check to see how many others are flying Maya Island Air. If it isn't a full plane, you will be looked in the eye by the supervisor and lied to about when your flight will be leaving. Then when the pilot is scheduled to return the plane and only then, will you get to fly. We had to wait over 3 hours!

Before we could return on Sat., Oct. 23, we had to go to the Ambergris Caye airport, and change our departure time for one hour earlier (8:00 AM) because we were worried that a plane wouldn't be there to take us to the mainland. We were told, by the man behind the counter, that it has happened before and people have missed their international flight back home.

What a way to start a vacation!

I leave it up to you message board readers, but we would NOT recommend Maya Island Air to anyone and neither would the other couple that had over a three hour wait and not know if we would even have a flight over to Ambergris Caye. mad mad mad mad

#93044 10/25/04 02:59 PM
Make reservations in advance.

#93045 10/25/04 03:56 PM
A
Aeriel Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Even if we had reservations in advance it wouldn't haver made a difference. There were no more flights!!

#93046 10/25/04 04:16 PM
C
C
Maybe they didn't schedule a flight because they didn't have any reservations?

What the heck, you made it all in the same day.

#93047 10/25/04 04:20 PM
C
C
We had reservations for the 1600 flight when we went. My wife and I were the only 2 on the plane. I flew in the co-pilot seat. It was great!

#93048 10/25/04 04:42 PM
A
Aeriel Offline OP
OP Offline
A
My question and complaint is, why did they lie to us? Maya Island Air. I had asked the question, on this message board, if I needed reservations, and I was told NO - just show up. Now I'm just trying to help out anyone who might have the same problem. Should I have not spoken up and let anyone else have the same problem??

I'm certain that you, CrackerLarry, would have been totally p---ed if this happened to you.

#93049 10/25/04 05:24 PM
My friend from Canada had exactly the same problem when he came in last April. He too had been told what Ariel was. NEVER AGAIN. However, he still showed up last week without a reservation. He was astonded when he got here that he got right on Tropic - what he didn't know was that I made a reservation for him. wink

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#93050 10/25/04 06:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I arrived without a reservation at the Belize Municipal Airstrip to catch the last flight of the day to San Pedro. It was full, and one other person had been similarly disappointed. Tropic put on a second plane for us.

And I was astonished once when I turned up at Tropic with a bicycle that I wanted to get back to SP at the treatment I received. At the minimum I expected a lot of hassle, being told to dismantle it and having to wait until a quiet flight, etc. Instead, they took the wheels off and put me and bike on the first flight to leave.

I don't have anything against Maya but don't fly with them because I have an account with Tropic, and with this sort of service I don't feel inclined to look further.

#93051 10/26/04 01:31 AM
C
C
I'm certain that you, CrackerLarry, would have been totally p---ed if this happened to you.

No, I wouldn't. You must be new to travel in developing countries. You show up for the last flight without reservations, you take your chances. They accomodated you. Like I said, what the heck, you made it in the same day. You waited what, from 1430 until 1730. 3 hours. Gee, what an inconvenience. You need to loosen up, drink some rum and get on island time.

I've waited days for flights and been lied to much worse by Delta, United and American and didn't make it in the same day.

#93052 10/26/04 04:13 AM
A
A
Aeriel, I am not a world traveler but you were correct in speaking up and maybe avoiding someone else the same problems. Who wants to sit in the BC airport when you can be on AC? I have been to AC quite a few times and have never had a problem with Tropic. However, I have always had reservations. Maybe you got bad advice on reservations......You will know next time.......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.