Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#100182 04/04/05 01:26 PM
S
Spleen Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey folks,

We'll be in AC from June 17-24. We're first timers so I have a question about getting from International Airport to AC.

It'll be 3 adults (me, my wife, my brother) plus 3 little kids (By June they'll be 5, 3 and 1). Looks like Maya Airs charges kidz the same as adults, so I'm wondering if I can save a few bucks flying from Municipal, or by taking a water taxi. The question is how practical is this with little kids? Do you all think that getting all our bodies and bags to Municipal, or to the docks and taking a longish boat ride, is do-able? Remember that we're 3 adults handling our own bags, plus kids, plus kids bags. My instincts tell me suck it up and pay, but I'm wondering if maybe it won't be so bad to try the water taxi or the move to Municipal. Any opinions?

Man, if it were me, I'd fly from International.

Getting on Maya or Tropic is walking around a corner in the terminal. There's always great skycaps there to help with your bags too. This is one area I wouldn't attempt to scrimp.

Good luck and have a great time!

S
S
On Tropic from Municipal you will pay $320US round trip for everyone (assuming that you will probably need 2 cabs at $17.50US each, deduct $17.50US if you can get away with one cab). From International the price would be $589.50US roundtrip for everyone. I would seriously discourage you from using the water taxi with kids the age of yours. They've already had a long day and now they're going to be out in the hot sun for another 1.5 hours, not to mention dragging all your gear onto and off of the boat.

Economy of scale makes Municipal work for you and also gives you the child discount rate. You don't get the discount from International due to the high runway taxes. Getting from International to Municipal is not a big deal, just adds 20 minutes or so to your trip.

S
S
If you only need one flight to get here, direct from Miami, Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta or Newark, you may want to consider the boat, weather permitting. Some folks love it, others hate it. Make sure the sea is calm.

If it is rough (observe on your taxi ride), take the flight from Municipal. The cab drivers are Int'l are very helpful and have large station wagon cabs.

Either way, you can arrange this leg of your trip on the spot, after you arrive. If arriving late, the Municipal may be your only option.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
I am one of those who loved the boat ride. I enjoyed chatting with the locals and I made one very special little friend. That being said, if I had the 3 kids plus all that luggage I would take the flight. To me the convenience alone would be worth the cost.

J
J
For me it's a no brainer...you get help with the luggage..no problem and fly out of municipal. the taxi ride is cool, and so is the savings...plus you get to the caye's fast and that is important with little ones. do the flite outa muni you won't regret it...no sweat. john in denver

do not take the boat no way ....with the kids I would do the flight out of international if you are tight on bucks do the muni??? .while every one here has good points . to me the juice is not worth the squeeze ...to much work .make it easy for the kids it will be hot ,a long day .. .life is to short. go live the dream and enjoy..

Living The Dream Every Day!
I agree with Capt Jeff. Also, try to pack light(double up to one suitcase instead of two). It doesn't take a new visitor to San Pedro long to realize they brought to much stuff with them.

When I visit with my kids, we are basically in t-shirts, shorts and sandals from the time we leave Seattle til we arrive in San Pedro. I have 4 children, my two youngest now 5 and 7. I'm fortunate enough to just fly Tropic from Int. straight to SP.

Not sure where you are traveling from, but by the time you get to Goldson Int. Airport, you have more than likely been travleing all day and hassling with taxis to Muni or the ferry just makes the day drag out further. Good luck, you will all love San Pedro and AC.

S
S
My husband and I took a cab to Municipal and flew to AC. It was an easy taxi ride, short, and worth the savings. Whats funny, is both times, the plane went to International before it went to AC and was still cheaper than getting on at International! I've taken the water taxi also, it's a very long, rough ride! Take the hop!

Three kids, usually three adults. We always just move from Continental (but it may be American after this last trip) over to Tropic Air at International. It's quick (sometimes less than 40 minutes from plane to plane) and really easy. And you can have a drink with Jet while you wait.

If cheaper is better, the taxi ride might be OK. But driving around Belize City's nothing to write home about, IMO.

* I Go Pogo *
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.