Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#316064 12/27/08 08:47 PM
OP Offline
It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the price of oil has plunged to <$40 and a ticket from my house to BZ City has gone up 30% since October. The BTB is complaining about major reductions in tourist traffic. I probably will reduce my fishing trips from 6 to 3 next year. May start going to MX and not come to BZ at all. A ticket to Cancun can still be had for about $300r/t. Consider this: If the BTB were to subsidise the airlines for the 30% increases they put on my ticket they would only increase the ticket price ANOTHER 30% in order to get the BTB subsidy. However if the BTB were to subsidise the TOURIST with a 30% "Travel Chit" the airlines would be forced to COMPETE for that "Travel Chit". I'd be pleased to pick up my chit at the customs officers desk on my next trip. WHUDYA THINK?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
T
T
Don I would think that reason behind the increase in airfare is due to less travelers, not a good thing.
If their break even cost is not happening then they have to up the cost per seat, I hope it doesn't affect good people like Tropic Air too badly.

OP Offline
RealDeal, If their break even fare to Cancun is about $350 it seems their break even fare to BZ is within a buck or two to of that price, not $825.

There are TONS of people flying. Anybody have bonefide statistics on the number of people flying now as compared with say 2 years ago? I would be very surprised if there were a drop in travel.

OP Offline
MALIBU, Air fares to other places in Cetral AM and South AM have not increased nearly as much as has it to BZ. Both American and Continental have lost their $ minds. It would seem that the BTB might acknowledge these differences and revise their policy to get into a more competative line with the other country's policys. It costs less to fly to Panama than BZ.

Don, please explain to a newcomer what the BTB does to cause these increases. It's not the airlines themselves raising fares? I see the BTB mentioned a lot. Are they pretty powerful?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.