Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
After several years of very strong growth, Belize is seeing a slowdown in tourism, according to new data from the Caribbean Tourism Organization.

The Caribbean destination in Central America received 129,316 tourist arrivals in the first four months of 2015, down 1.2 percent compared to the same period in 2014.

The reduction came in part due to a slight reduction in arrivals from the US (1.3 percent) and an 11.7 percent reduction in arrivals from Canada.

The slowdown comes after Belize posted 9.2 percent year-over-year growth in arrivals in 2014 and 6.1 percent percent growth in 2013, according to CTO data.

Caribbean Journal

The decline of the Canadian dollar has also affected real estate markets in the US. Lets hope it recovers!
We need visitors, and Canadians need respite from the dark and cold during the winter.
Eh?

A
A
What does Canadian dollar have to do with US real estate? Home sales and vales have increased in the month of June in the U.S. according to the reports I have read. Let's face reality the crime situation is affecting Belize in many ways. Now this is just my opinion so I am sure many opinions will differ so please be nice.

[quote=AT602]What does Canadian dollar have to do with US real estate ? quote]

Ask sellers in Palm Springs about the canadian dollar and their real estate market. Some sunshine areas are quite linked to the Canadian traveler/second-home buyer.

I can understand why those whose livelihood is dependent on tourism would encourage more tourism. But, cannot there be made an argument that until the necessary infrastructure catches up with the population, that the emphasis be on allocating resources to that as opposed to encouraging more people to come. Is it not possible that providing the necessary conditions that ensure a tourist has a pleasant experience is more important to the long term success as opposed to the short term gain?
I find more often in speaking to visitors complaints about safety, traffic, garbage, etc.
Believing AC is the island we remember from years past and not recognizing the reality that it is today and encouraging more visitors without devoting adequate resources to insuring those visitors will have a pleasant experience is very short sighted. IMHO.

Well put Warren.
I think we could do well by focusing on quality.

Eliminate Minister of Tourism and replace him with "Minister of Infrastructure" and spend the money on infrastructure that BTB wastes on their junkets and expensive ad campaigns.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.