Next Thread
Print Thread
#13277 10/19/00 01:08 PM
P
pixlart Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi:

My family and I are traveling to Belize (SP/Placencia) in January. We have read conflicting information about what innoculations, if any, we need to have before the trip.

Any experienced advice/info would be much appreciated. We are really looking forward to our visit. Reading the posts on this board has been very informative!

Thanks in Advance,

-john

#13278 10/20/00 12:00 AM
K
K
Tetnus (sp?) perhaps hepatis A

#13279 10/20/00 12:55 AM
A
A
Although no innoculations are REQUIRED to enter Belize (unless you have been in a cholera-infected area in the past six months in which case you need to have a certificate to prove you have been vaccinated) it is, however, a good idea for Typhoid, Tetanus and Polio to be up to date and Hepatitis too. If you are travelling in the rainforest areas you will also want to consider malaria pills. Here in the UK we can buy them over the counter at the local chemist (drug store). Start taking them one week before travel, during your holiday and for 4 weeks after as this is the inncubation period. The ones I take only require 2 tablets once a week so it is not too many to take. Preparations save complications and all that....

#13280 10/20/00 07:40 AM
To clarify, it is NOT cholera but Yellow Fever innoculation which is required if coming from a Yellow Fever area (much of Africa, some parts of South America including Venezuela).

Normally, few if any visitors to Ambergris Caye get any kind of sticks. San Pedro has high health standards. Those coming now, following the hurricane, probably should have their shots (especially tetanus and hep A & B) up to date.

There is malaria present on the mainland, but it is a relatively mild strain, present mostly in remote areas, and it is not chloroquine-resistant, so if your doctor recommends it you can take the old Aralen (brand name) malaria medicine, which is safe and has few if any side effects.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#13281 10/20/00 09:51 AM
A
A
I stand corrected. Many apologies for the error regarding cholera/yellow fever. It was really early this morning UK time when I posted the reply - I will try and be more alert next time! I agree with Lan that risks are very small but then, I personally would prefer to be safe than sorry. If in doubt check with your own doctor.

#13282 10/20/00 01:39 PM
F
F
Hi all, Is this malaria back where all the new flooding is ? Seems like there would be more mosquitos there now. Do they see any lessening of the waters yet or help for the cattle,other animals?

#13283 10/20/00 03:39 PM
As I understand it, most cases of malaria in Belize are in the far south and in remote areas near the Guatemala border (often among people who have moved into Belize from other parts of Central America.) There has been no flooding in southern Belize.

I imagine all the rain and standing water will mean more mosquitos, but unless malaria (or dengue, which is carried by another type of mosquito) is already present in those areas you won't see much of an increase. Mosquitos don't fly very far, so cases tend to be concentrated in areas where there already are human carriers.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.