Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I want to drive from belize to mexico with a belize registered car. Anyone know where I can get insurance for mexico and how much it will cost (for about 10 days) ?

We did the drive in March 2009 and had 7 days policy for about 35US. Just as you cross the bridge there is a row of small shops on the left side across from where you pay for your vehicle.

C
C
I dont get the insurance, it is not compulsory, only recommended. My theory on it is, get the insurance if it helps your confidence level, although most Mexican cars are not insured. I also do not drive around Chetumal much in my car, I park it at the house when I come from Belize and take a taxi if I have to go downtown, or I walk if it is close. Also, if you are coming into Mexico on a weekend or evening, the insurance place will not be open.

S
S
"The rumors about possibly going to jail if you have a car wreck in Mexico are true. Having Mexican insurance helps alleviate that possibility."

http://studenttravel.about.com/od/getontheroad/a/mexicodrive.htm

C
C
If you are driving a foreign car with a foreign drivers license, you will go to jail, whether or not you have insurance, until the damages are assessed and YOU have paid. That goes for even if you are not at fault, you are still at fault. Driving in Mexico is AT YOUR OWN RISK. Even if you get the insurance, is not what is it like in the U.S. In my opinion, if you get into an accident, you had better speak Spanish, know someone (having a Mexican police officer as a best friend) or be prepared to run back to Belize.
The point of view of the article you posted, has to do more with the Northern border between Mexico and the U.S., although it gives good advice for renting a car in Mex. Here in Chetumal, you can bring your Belizean-license plated car into Chetumal quite casually, with no importation permit. You can also drive anywhere in Quintana Roo, up the Cancun-Chetumal corridor and even take the vehicle over to Cozumel on a ferry. You can not take your Belizean-plated vehicle to Merida as it is in another state. My opinion on Mexican insurance and the Mexican government is that if they were serious about Belizean vehicles needing insurance, the insurance places would be open on evenings, holidays and weekends. Belizean insurance does not cover you in Mexico.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.