Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#360278 12/05/09 12:55 PM
O
ossumt Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I have a question ....I am coming back to San Pedro in January and I have no plans on coming back to the states ....Is it legal for me to just buy a one way ticket to Belize....When i went to Jamaica I bought a one way ticket and planed on staying until i was tired then move on but customs detained me and made me buy a ticket back to the states and give them a date I would be leaving ......Well any info would be great
Tony

ossumt #360279 12/05/09 01:01 PM
S
S
My experience is that the US Airlines require that you have a return trip within 30 days. I believe that as long as you have a reservation, they will accept that (as opposed to an actual purchased ticket). I was once required to purchase a change ticket because my return was > 30 days, which was quite expensive.

PS: I have found that the RT ticket prices are about the same as one way anyway and they have always worked with me on changing the return flights way past the 30 days.

B
B
I've been here almost 2 years now, just got my residency and no one ever asked me for my plane tickets. I think the law is that you should have one. And if you look super shady, maybe they ask? But i doubt it. One way seems fine.

I've just found that one way is almost as expensive as round trip.

S
S
My understanding is that the primary issue is on the US end... they won't allow you to board the plane until you demonstrate your return plans (in the case of Belize, it is 30 days max).

My friend who was flying on a one way to Mexico. They almost didn't allow him to board, but caved when he told them he was flying back on a private jet before 30 days.

M
M
First, most countries usually have some sort of regulation/rule/law that any visitor must have an onward ticket out of the country they are entering. Without an onward ticket, you COULD be refused entry. It helps if you carry proof that you have sufficient funds to support yourself, and your appearance is such that you appear to have money to support yourself.

I've been around the world a few times, and only once on a 6 week visit to the UK was I ever asked about a return ticket. I've never been asked for one when entering Belize, or entering Mexico on my way to Belize.

The issue with the airlines, as I understand it, is that the airline has to pay the cost to get you back to your departure point IF you are refused entry. Therefore, it's the airline (and/or the travel agent) that tries to ensure you have a return ticket.

In Belize, the initial 30-day stamp can be easily renewed at any immigration office. This is one common way of beginning the process to obtain permanent residency, so (and I don't know if anyone has tried this) if anyone questions you, just say you are planning to get residency, and you have to stay in the country for 12 months continuously. I'm sure the Belizean officials understand this. After all, for the first 12 months, they still have the option every month of not renewing the 30 days.

H
H
The One Way Ticket Trick::
--getting around the outrageous one-way ticket fares--
(i use American Airlines)

For the ticket TO Belize, select the low priced non-refundable ticket fare.
For the RETURNING ticket select the high priced yet refundable option.

As soon as you arrive in Belize, or I guess you can do it whenever you like, cancel the return flight. Do the opposite when you are ready to return to the US.

hansen #360320 12/05/09 07:06 PM
O
ossumt Offline OP
OP Offline
O
thank you for all for your input
Tony

hansen #360404 12/06/09 04:04 PM
A C Offline
Originally Posted by hansen
The One Way Ticket Trick::
--getting around the outrageous one-way ticket fares--
(i use American Airlines)

For the ticket TO Belize, select the low priced non-refundable ticket fare.
For the RETURNING ticket select the high priced yet refundable option.

As soon as you arrive in Belize, or I guess you can do it whenever you like, cancel the return flight. Do the opposite when you are ready to return to the US.

slick heh

A C #360459 12/07/09 08:34 AM
Don't take any LEGAL advice from this board and its members - even if they are attorneys. Check with immigration. Indeed many folks are asked to produce their return tickets or onward tickets. Unless you have legal residency in this country you could be subject to deportation or refused a renewal of your visitor's visa and then you will be expected to leave - at your expense. The big bummer here is that if you are refused a renewal of your visa or you are deported for non-compliance you may not be able to return.

I am looking into doing the following next year.... I met someone that did it last year.

I am legal in Belize, so i don't need to worry about immigration. As Amanda said , check it out yourself first..

I am in Belize so I am looking at purchasing a one way airline ticket to Miami then jumping on a 8 day cruise out of FLL.
DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Sat Mar 20 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm
Sun Mar 21 At Sea
Mon Mar 22 At Sea
Tue Mar 23 Colon, Panama 7:00am 5:00pm
Wed Mar 24 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 7:00am 3:00pm
Thu Mar 25 At Sea
Fri Mar 26 Belize City, Belize 7:00am 4:00pm
Sat Mar 27 At Sea
Sun Mar 28 Fort Lauderdale, FL

The plan is to jump off in Belize....I have my passport stamped for a full year. so I do not need to deal with imagrations...

"But WHY's the rum gone?

www.wadethegringo.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 254 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.