Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Hi Coming in on cruise ship and would like to take public bus to zoo. How do I do this and where do I walk to get this? There are 8 of us and all vans I check were $400 just for round trip so figured we would like to do this. Any help would be appreciated. New to board

S
S
You're taking a big risk. If for any reason you don't show up on time for your tender to reboard the boat that's it. They'll leave if you can't contact them and if you do contact them you'll find some big bills at the end of your cruise.

M
M
The bus terminal is about 1.5 km from the Tourist Village (that's where you come ashore).

The easiest way to get there is by taxi -- eight people will need 2 taxis @ BZ$5 or $6 per taxi.

If you walk, exit the Tourist Village, turn left onto North Front Street and walk until you get to the Swing Bridge. Cross the bridge and walk straight ahead along Albert Street for about 1 block (the Belize Bank will be on your left). Turn right onto Orange Street and walk several blocks until you get to East Collet Canal. Cross the bridge and turn left. The terminal is about 100 m from the intersection.

In the bus terminal, look for a westbound Regular (not Express) bus; the final destination of BENQUE will be displayed in the front window of the bus, but you could take one with a final destination of BELMOPAN. Buses depart half-hourly.

Just board the bus, and put luggage in the overhead racks or at the back of the bus. Always keep an eye on your luggage because passengers often use the rear emergency door as an entrance or exit. I like to keep my luggage within arms reach if possible. Let the driver and/or the conductor know where you want to stop. The conductor will collect the fare after the bus gets going.

The zoo is at Mile 29 -- it should take about 45 to 50 minutes to get there and cost about BZ$4.00 per passenger. Watch the white mile marker posts along the highway to see how close you're getting. Move to the front of the bus and tell the driver/conductor to stop.

After visiting the zoo, walk back to the highway, cross to the other side and wait for a bus back to Belize City. When you see a bus coming, wave your arm up and down to get it to stop. Express buses won't stop. The bus will return to the bus terminal, and you can walk or taxi back to the Tourist Village. Taxis wait outside the bus terminal.

If you feel lost, just ask anyone -- Belizeans are friendly and ready to help.

More information can be found at:
www.belizezoo.org
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Last edited by MisterB266; 01/19/11 04:08 PM.
M
M
Where did you get the price of $400?
From the cruise ship company?
I assume that's US$??

You will probably get a better deal from one of the Belizean tour guides that wait outside the Tourist Village.

When you exit the Tourist Village, you will encounter several Belizean tour guides -- I don't think they're allowed to wait right at the exit any more, so ask to find out where they are.

misterb26, that was one helpful post, for real . . . but if I was a newbie straight off a cruise ship, I'd be afraid to take your bus advice.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

The vans should not be looked at as "round trip" transportation - they are there for a whole day - they wait for you to get off the boat, they refuse other business completely for the day, they wait at the zoo and they get you back to the zoo on time. The drivers are licensed tour guides and will provide you with a lot of insights into the country and people.
$50 a head for a comfortable, safe and timely private day-tour to the zoo (and probably around town or whatever else you have time for ) seems like a good value - don't cheat yourself on this vacation by trying to find a dusty bus stop and riding a nasty old bus (that stops more often than you might wish) in an unfamiliar town in a foreign country.

M
M
What is it that you are afraid of, seashell?

I've seen tourists on the buses just about every day.

Are you generally afraid of walking through downtown areas, taking a taxi, or riding buses?

LOL! No . . not at all. I'm just saying if I were a newbie fresh off the boat, I'd not want to spend my time, figuring out the bus adventure, just to get to the zoo. Amongst other confusions, I'd be afraid of missing my ship when it left port.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

and trust me, her time mgmt skills suck

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
M
M
Oh, it's the time issue.

Based on my experience, I'd say the zoo trip can be done within 5 hours (I've done it), and that includes a bit of time waiting for buses, and not using taxis. Anyone from a cruise ship should definitely get an early start; probably no later than 10 am from the bus terminal. Two hours at the zoo should be enough time.

Many visitors would see this as part of the adventure of travel, and as I said, Belizeans are extremely friendly and will help you every bit of the way if you need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.