Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#411375 07/07/11 06:36 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I just read about bag restrictions on TropicAir and our management company had already booked flights. Can we back put of flights if we haven't paid? They said our luggage (due to size/weight) may incur extra charges and not be on the same flight we're on. That makes me nervous as we're staying 4.5 mi N of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. What should we do at this point? Would a cheap water taxi be a better option? We leave Saturday morning... Any help would be appreciated!

8 trips and I always fly Tropic and have never had or even heard of "excess baggage" charges. They have been wonderful. If your bags can't get on your flight because you have many, they will be on the next flight about 15 minutes later. Going and coming it has never been a problem and many of my friends have had some "EXCESS" coming in. Don't worry. They are a great company with the best customer service!! Best way to get to Ambergris Caye!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
E
E
I concur.

We are excess bags at arrival people...Always well past the limits of US commercial airlines....In 8 years at about 4-6 trips a year we have always traveled Tropic Air....Never even questioned even with some of the odd shaped packages we have asked them to cargo over for us....some examples my Chihuahua, a hammer drill, supersized beautifully framed oil paintings, a few household odds & ends; if it gets through customs it gets through Tropic....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
R
ron Offline
R
I've often brought 2 -50 lbs bags and a couple of large carryons and never was charged extra. I think the figure if the big guys will carry you there they'll get you the rest of the way.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you - on their site it says 35 lbs limit and the American Airlines limit is 50lbs and I'm guessing our bags will lean towards the 50lbs mark with all the scuba gear, etc. Hopefully it all works out smile

Originally Posted by Melinda79
Thank you - on their site it says 35 lbs limit and the American Airlines limit is 50lbs and I'm guessing our bags will lean towards the 50lbs mark with all the scuba gear, etc. Hopefully it all works out smile

Melinda, you will be fine. We just got here via Tropic, and each had a bag weighing in at 47 lbs. in addition to a carry-on bag each (all four of those got checked), and a laptop bag, which my husband carried on. We didn't even know Tropic had that restriction. I am very glad we didn't as I would have lost sleep over it. They never even blinked at our bags, and they got on the same flight as us!

Have a great trip, and now you can sleep like a baby too. sleep

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
S
S
During the busy season (March) I have had my bags arrive on the next flight or the flight after that - and we bring everything including computer gear, fishing gear, way too much clothes - everything and I have never had a problem with Tropic. Our friends had bright orange luggage and on the way home last year their bags were on a different flight. They were freaking out when their luggage was not at international. It arrived 10 minutes later and we were super early for check in any way - I just laughed - but they were soooo up set!

Dont worry about Tropic. This past March I had 4 large bags plus 2 carry ons - and no problem!

Both Tropic and Maya are more like local bus and taxi services rather than airlines as we know them. The locals who use them probably would'nt if it were run like a US Air Carrier.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.