Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

On my way back from San Ignacio, I took an express bus to Belize City, which ended at the old terminal near the canal.

What is really surprising is how on the ball the San Pedro Express Water Taxi is. They literally offer concierge service every step of the way.

There are SPEWT LAND taxis at the bus terminal, and the taxi drivers are easily identifiable because they wear nice uniforms. I was offered a 10% off coupon, and this seems to be a normal deal.

The STEWT LAND taxi was nice, neat, clean, and even modern. It was not one of those normal old buckets. The fare to the water taxi terminal was normal.

Upon arrival at the water taxi terminal, there was a greeter there who took our luggage from the taxi and into the water taxi terminal. We did not have to lift a finger from the time we departed the San Ignacio bus.

Also available at the SPEWT terminal are connections to just about anywhere, including the ADO buses, local flights, etc.

They are located at the Brown Shuga terminal next to the cruise ship terminal.

The waiting area is clean, airy, breezy, cool, and very comfortable.

Can't complain about anything. They run quite an efficient operation all around.

I also had an opportunity to enter the Caye Caulker Water Taxi terminal today, and I have to say the renovations have the place looking as good as any international airport in the U.S. (in terms of attractiveness). They have come a long way.

I was well pleased with both water taxis.

M
M
San Pedro Water Taxi does need to do more... in order to make up for at least one major lapse of negligence regarding safety!

Last October a Caye Caulker Water Taxi had to veer off its course to save a young American newly wed couple from the states that had been run over while snorkeling by a San Pedro Taxi boat just minutes before. The San Pedro Water Taxi captain had no spotter, which is req'd. by law, especially for the smaller boats where the captain is down in the boat behind the passengers and cannot see, which this boat was.

The young couple had wandered out to far from the dock snorkeling. They heard the boat and were waving but the captain never saw them.
The young man had his leg amputated at his thigh just above the knee. The leg was lost. She had her hand badly lacerated as well.

Well there was a big investigation, and the captain lost his license and boat was impounded for a few weeks. When the final report was published by the police/Port Authority they exonerated San Pedro Water Taxi and the captain claiming that the water was too choppy to allow good visibility and the couple was out too far.

The truth was their water taxi was "relatively" close (this was way down at the south end of the island where these Water Taxis have been known to cut close to the island in order to save time/distance as they come directly from Belize City.)
And the water was not choppy that day, in fact winds were rather low and out of the West (according to the weather report for that day). As a West wind it comes from behind the island so go figure!)

By the way... I did see a spotter on the front of that same boat the other day...

S
S
So what do they need to do more?
" San Pedro Water Taxi does need to do more."
You are double-talking....and trying to damage an already suffering company. Give them a chance to correct the problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.