Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15849 08/16/02 12:05 PM
OP Offline
many of you probably got this too, but i thought i would post it for those who did not. i received it today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Jane,

I'm writing to you on behalf of the Coalition to Save the Macal River Valley with an exciting update on recent events in Belize:

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in Belize is now deliberating on the landmark case brought by the Belize Alliance of Conservation NGOs challenging approval of the Chalillo dam. The case concluded on August 1, and marks an important achievement for efforts to save the Macal River Valley. A decision is expected in September.

BACONGO showed in detail how the rubber-stamped environmental approval for the dam was illegal and why it should be overturned. In response, the government of Belize denied ever giving approval for the project--despite overwhelming proof brought to the contrary. This proof included letters from the government purporting to give 'environmental clearance' for the Chalillo dam. These letters were made public for the first time as part of the case by lawyers for Belize Electricity Limited (BECOL), owned by Fortis.

A detailed update on the court case can be found at http://www.stopfortis.org/CaseUpdate8_13_02.html, with photos from the courtroom and BACONGO's dynamic legal team, Lois Young Barrow and Dean Barrow. News reports of the case were featured on national television in Belize and Newfoundland's Telegram newspaper and CBC radio.

Your signature on the StopFortis petition, and your support of this campaign are invaluable in helping the Coalition to Save the Macal River Valley--and BACONGO in particular-- make environmental history. Please contact us at [email protected] to get further involved.

Sincerely,
Ari Hershowitz
Director, BioGems Project, Latin America
Natural Resources Defense Council,
for the Coalition to Save the Macal River Valley (see www.stopfortis.org/coalition.html) "

#15850 08/20/02 02:29 PM
OP Offline
andi - i assume you got that link from this letter.

i know we both signed that petition.

no one responded to this thread, so i am bumping it back up.

#15851 08/21/02 02:11 AM
nobody responded b/c there are two topics going on the same subject.

It's easier if we keep it all together.

Thanks for the info and the link!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.