Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
The Belize Audubon Society has issued a Position Paper on the proposed Spanish Bay Project. According to Audubon, the project is a proposal to further develop Spanish Lookout Caye, to include recreational tourism, education and research components. A release issued today by BAS states that the recreational tourism aspect of the operation includes a dolphin encounter program, and will build on the current activities which are based on scuba diving, snorkeling and kayaking. The release adds that educational opportunities in marine science and conservation will be provided for primary and secondary school students throughout the country. The research component will be integrated into the education component of the project, which will be run by the Hugh Parkey Foundation for Marine Awareness and Education. The release from BAS further states that the Bottlenose Dolphin would be used in the encounter program, which involves touring, interacting with the dolphins for a 20 minute period with activities such as photo opportunities, snorkeling and swimming with the dolphins. The Belize Audubon Society recommends the rejection of the project, unless the captive dolphin encounter program is removed. Audubon says its position is based on the principles outlined in its mission which states that the Society is dedicated to the sustainable management of Belize's natural resources, through leadership and strategic partnerships with people involved, in order to create a balance between people and the environment. Audubon says it recognizes that advocacy, education and awareness are integral components required to fulfill its mission, and therefore acknowledges that the education component is a valid one that can have positive benefits for Belizean students.

E
E
When I lived in SP, I would sit on the pier and watch the dolphins play and do their natural things. I can not envision them (dolphins) doing anything else. To put a wild animal in a circumstance other than their natural habitat is not in the best interest of anything.

T
T
A lot of money is being made out there in many countries with this "swim with the dolphins" thing. I hope Belizeans will have the sense and compassion not to go out there catching wild dolphins for this updated version of this Marineland/Seaworld entertainment.
It may be rare, but so much nicer to see them in the wild, when they are in the mood for a look-see with us.
Mary

Mary and Rick
Ernie: I always thought the same when I would see you on the dance floor...wild animal out of habatat!!!!! With greatest regards: Bill, Prez. SPA-SC

Gone fishing!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.