Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Majestic Whale Sharks of Belize

Just around this time of the year, a few weeks before school closes for the Easter holidays, a pressing thought in the minds of many a parent is: "What Easter plans should be made?"

While it is certainly interesting to be a tourist in any country, it is lamentable that Belizeans are not keener to be tourists in their own country. Take a poll on any street in downtown Belize City on any day and I guarantee you that you will find more Belizeans who have been to Miami than Belizeans who have seen the world-renown Aktun Tunichil Muknal cave of the Cayo District - a cave so rich with Mayan history, artifacts, legends and mystique that people from ... yes, overseas... pay thousands of dollars to come here and experience it. Belize is such a rich place - it is literally a wealth of fascinating adventures, memorable wonders and unique cultural experiences packed into one small country. Guaranteed, you could have a different Belizean adventure every single day of the month and yet not have the same experience twice, proving that big things do come in small packages. Some of us spend any amount of money to jet set to exotic foreign destinations (which we have been programmed to believe HAS to be located overseas somewhere for it to be truly "exotic") and yet we fail to realize that right here - in our own backyard - in this tiny but sweet little jewel of a country in Central America called beautiful Belize, that we live the "exotic" life daily.

Many people also throw away lots of good money yearly on the purchase of material things, thinking it will make them happier. While I do not deny anyone the right to spend their money however they wish, studies have shown that the pleasurable memories that last the longest, from childhood into mature adulthood, are the memories crafted from unique experiences. In this country, we are blessed to have unique experiences everywhere.

So, if you have not yet confirmed your Easter plans, I challenge you this holiday to keep your dollars at home and plan your vacation in a little corner of our little jewel called Belize. Keep your money at home. Do yourself and your family a favor and experience a part of Belize you have never been to before. The economy needs it and the Belizean businesses deserve your support.

If you are having a hard time narrowing down a choice from the list of fabulous destinations in this country, let me suggest to you to visit the Placencia area this year, home to the majestic whale sharks of Belize. The majestic whale sharks of Belize are the largest fish in the world, and one of the largest creatures of any kind alive today. They are usually referred to as the "gentle giants of the sea". Generally considered docile and harmless, they filter feed on plankton and small fish. Observing these giants underwater is likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience and you can only be guaranteed to do so right here in bountiful and exotic Belize!

The best times to spot the whale sharks are usually three or four days before and after the full and new moons in April and May, just in time for the Easter holidays. They migrate yearly to the coast of Placencia to an area called Gladden Spit and Little Water Caye. This area is known to host the largest concentrations during March, April, May and June when the snappers are spawning. Snapper spawn is a whale shark delicacy. Since the whale sharks usually coast in the water around a depth of twenty feet, chances are very high that you will be able to enjoy the company of one of these magnificent creatures, even if you are not a scuba diver. In fact, you may be able to enjoy the whale sharks from the boat, even if you are not a snorkeler.

A few years ago, a big furor erupted when it was rumored that two of our prized whale sharks would be sold to the Georgia Aquarium. While the Georgia Aquarium did get its whale sharks...thankfully, elsewhere... tourists will have to pay that aquarium mega dollars just to have the opportunity to have some remote semblance of closeness to their poor CAPTIVE whale sharks. Yet, we have the luxury of enjoying these gentle giants in the wild, in the most up close and personal way you can ever imagine, right here in Belize in Mother Nature's own unfenced aquarium. How many countries in this world do you know of that can boast to you of a similar circumstance?

If you go, please remember to follow the protocols of the area and do your best to ensure that your activities do not negatively impact the aquatic life. On the boat ride out to Gladden Spit, it is highly likely that you will also spot some of our Belizean bottle-nosed dolphins. Two awesome once-in-a-lifetime experiences for the price of one!? Now that's not only a deal, that's a downright steal! And only available right here in Mother Nature's Best Kept Secret!

Wherever you go, enjoy your holidays!

Wendy Auxillou

http://www.belizetimes.bz/hardhitting.shtml

One of the saddest truths is that I find it less expensive to go to Miami for a few days/nights, than I do to visit my own country.

Belize offers many fantasic tourist adventures, but when I look at my "holiday budget" and try to decide what to do with it, a visit to the US or Europe always wins. Although we have marvelous attractions on our doorstep, often times we hunger for what we consider exotic. To we Belizeans, the exotic is what our average tourist considers mundane - art galleries, 4 storey libraries, shopping malls, ice rinks, snow, ice, hail, traffic jams, whew, the list can go on and on.

My husband and I have vowed to spend a little time "in country" this summer - we do want to enjoy the jungle, the Maya ruins, the rivers and mountains - the people!

And we are going to love every minute of our re-aquaintance with Mother Nature's Best Kept Secret.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.