Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143427 05/07/02 12:11 PM
OP Offline
folks, i got this today. some others of you may have too. i am just passing the info along. we would all hate to see the jungle dammed. howler monkeys & scarlet macaws are in jeapardy, among others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Jane,

I'm writing to you from Belize City on behalf of the International Coalition to Save the Macal River Valley to thank you for signing the petition to stop Fortis Inc from building the proposed Chalillo dam in Belize and to ask for your help. May 15, at the Annual Shareholder meeting, Fortis Directors need to hear the urgent message to stop plans for the dam.

There are two immediate ways you can help:
1-Forward this message to people you know and ask them to sign the petition at WWW.STOPFORTIS.ORG. The petition has now received some 2000 endorsements from around the world, and we're hoping to double this by the time of Fortis' shareholder meeting. People are still returning regularly to the site to get updates on the threat to Belize's rainforest, and to read the messages to Fortis that are pouring in.

2-Write to Angus Bruneau Chairman of the Board at Fortis from WWW.STOPFORTIS.ORG (click on Save BioGems) and ask him to cancel plans for the dam.

Now is a critical stage for the efforts to save the Macal River Valley--lawsuits brought by our organization, the Belize Alliance of Conservation NGO's, have succeeded in halting the illegal construction of the dam for now. We are committed to taking our case as far as it needs to go, but we hope that Fortis will work with us to find a better option for the people of Belize: Belizeans still pay Fortis the highest rates for electricity in all of Central America and three times more than Canadians pay. The new dam would only increase these rates.

For an update on the lawsuits, to view the CBC Disclosure or Zone Libre documentaries on the dam, Probe International's complaint of professional misconduct in AMEC's environmental assessment, funded by Canada's foreign aid agency and much more, visit www.stopfortis.org, and click on Recent Update.

Thank you again for your support to save Belize's Macal River Valley. Together, we are making a difference.

Sincerely,

Jamillah Vasquez, Belize Alliance of Conservation NGO's,
for the Coalition to Save the Macal River Valley (see www.stopfortis.org/coalition.html)

#143428 05/07/02 12:17 PM
P
P
DONE!

#143429 05/07/02 12:46 PM
OP Offline
Dear Jane,

As one of the local activists working here in Belize to stop
the ill-conceived Chalillo dam project, I am writing to thank
you so much for taking the time to send a letter to help us save
the spectacular Macal Valley. I want you to know how magical this
rainforest is. Many of us here would do anything to make sure
it isn't destroyed, but we simply can't succeed in saving it without
you and thousands of other Internet activists standing behind
us. Together, I think we have a real chance of stopping the Chalillo
dam and keeping this BioGem and its wildlife safe for years to
come. Belize and Belizeans would be poorer without it. So again,
my thanks for taking action to keep this rainforest wild and free.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matola
Director
The Belize Zoo and Tropical Education Center

#143430 05/07/02 10:50 PM
Kudos to Jane... My lovely friend. I got this today to... Thank you for getting it on here. I couldn't figure out how to do it without bothering Marty (again [Linked Image] ).
Jane, you'll be swimming in the Macal River in about a month... The area around DuPlooy's is simply awesome.... You will be even more committed then. I envy you the opportunity. Glad your kids will get to see it.... Thanks sweetie!!!
Debbie

#143431 05/08/02 10:55 AM
OP Offline
yes, i am hoping they will understand what it would be like if it were gone. the implications of losing an area like this. and what it means to us all.

there is an interesting thread on the "about other parts" board from a local. he is very happy with his lifestyle and does not really wish to "modernize" his life or his land or his people.

many westerners THINK these "poor" people so desperately NEED our influence and assistance. well, that might not really be the case at all.

some things are best left to those whom it concerns.

#143432 05/08/02 11:17 AM
T
T
Jane, I had the opposite reaction when I posted on the Belize Audobon Board. After I posted protesting the building of the dam, someone (Belizian) wrote, that "we deserve to have a decent standard of living. We need this dam to insure electrical supply".

#143433 05/08/02 02:07 PM
OP Offline
interesting, trina.

i guess it just goes to show, your damned if you do, damned if you don't. (no bad puns intended)

just when you think you know what is going on, life proves you don't.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.