Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#358073 11/16/09 03:17 PM
OP Offline
I noticed some bugs on my rue plant yesterday, and after some research online, it appears that these are mealy bugs, and quite the pest. Is anyone familiar with them? What has worked for you in getting rid of this pest? I would like to figure it out before the rest of my plants are affected. Thanks!

Jennifer

jdittygirl #358075 11/16/09 03:46 PM
Insecticidal soaps and horticultural oils work great in controlling this pest. The tricky part is mealybugs tend to hide very well where leaves attach to the stem, so make sure you get coverage there. Horticultural soaps and oils don't have systemic properties, which means when spraying, the product must come in contact with the pest. So know where your pest is on the plant.

A word of warning: You can burn leaves with horticultural soaps and oils. These products need to be applied when the air temperature is cool. Make sure your plants were watered well the day before you apply your control - never spray wilted plants. Following labeled rates also reduces the risk of leaf damage. More is not better. Also, make sure beneficial insects are not present when you spray. (Insecticides can kill the good guys, too.)
*this info was found by googleing the Mealy bug ! smile

Bill Mc Ghee #358082 11/16/09 06:17 PM
We have a pretty good garden going on. Maya is the gardener in the household and I've asked her advice. She does two things she says. First she tries to wash them off with water if the plant can take it. So you have to take care not to damage the plant. They will fall off. So she waits for a few days to see if they come back. If that doesn't work then she makes a solution with washing up liquid. About two teaspoons in a normal size spray bottle with water and she sprays them with that again, she waits for a couple of days to see how they react. She says, if that doesn't work, she then sprays them with water again and by then they tend to stay off. Make sure that you are pruning regularly because they like moisture and darkness, so keep the plants healthy with lots of free flowing air. Obviously if they are vegetables you can't prune, so the previous advice applies.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #358086 11/16/09 07:42 PM
OP Offline
Thanks! I'm glad to hear this may work. I mixed up a mixture of 50% water, 50% rubbing alcohol, and a couple drops of dish washing detergent. Sprayed it all over the plant and leaves. Looks like it may have helped already. I just hope the alcohol does not damage the plant. It's curious to me that this plant got these bugs. Otherwise the plant is doing very well, growing fast, and in a drafty area, so not too much humidity. Unless the recent rain left it kind of damp.
Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if it works.

Jennifer

jdittygirl #358114 11/17/09 08:33 AM
T
t42 Offline
T
Quite a few years back there was a huge infestation/problem with mealy bugs and the authorities were actually going around into peoples gardens and all bush was being destroyed that showed signs of the bug. Don't know if the problem was on the cayes but they took it very seriously on the mainland.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.