Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#398558 01/26/11 10:33 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Kingston, Canada: Thurs., Feb. 10, noon. Kenn Feigelman founder of deep/quest 2 Expeditions discusses undersea research and eco-tour habitat, Sea Base 1, which will be placed off Ambergris Caye, Belize. Visual presentation entitled Rhapsody in Blue. Info: http://www.deepquest2expeditions.com.

Marty #398599 01/26/11 04:30 PM
So..they are going to build a mayan temple shaped seabase and deposit it on our reef supposedly for uninterupted studies...who will monitor them? is this project really in the best interest of our reef system? Just asking.

Reality..What a concept!
Marty #398753 01/28/11 08:39 AM
This guy has been trying to raise money for this for ages.
I think one of his group contacted me many years ago wanting to buy some sea-bottom for this thing. He was not pleased when I declined to take him on as a client.

Marty #408691 05/26/11 09:56 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
SeaBase1 habitat in Belize put on Kingston director's to-do list

Besides co-producing a documentary on the War of 1812, Kenn M. Feigelman, director of operations for Deep/Quest 2 Expeditions, is gearing up for another project.

He serves as a consulting scientific partner for SeaBase 1, a shallow-water undersea habitat scheduled for launch, or sinking, in 2013 off Ambergris Caye, Belize, in northern Central America.

Mr. Feigelman also will serve as an occasional aquanaut aboard SeaBase1.

"I'm very pleased to be the only Canadian scientist onboard the project at this time," he said.

SeaBase 1, an nonprofit endeavor, is designed for "scientific researchers and anyone who yearns to know what it's like to actually live in the ocean for an extended period of time," according to the description on its website. Its design can hold 25 aquanauts.

"It will not be elitist," Mr. Feigelman said. "The Joe Public will be invited to work with scientists as lab rats, or assistants. The diving public will be able to take part in eco-tourism."

The project sustained a setback last winter when its founder, Richard Cooper, a retired University of Connecticut professor emeritus of marine science, died.

"That's a major setback emotionally, but it's not going to set back the development of the habitat," said Mr. Feigelman. "It's still planned to be built at a major shipyard in Louisiana and then sunk off Belize, hopefully by the summer of 2013."

Mr. Feigelman and Jose Jones, the vice president of SeaBase 1, spoke about the project in March at the Beneath the Sea seminar in Secaucus, N.J.
Watertown Daily Times

More info //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/378682

Marty #438147 05/17/12 06:44 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Aquatic resorts: SeaBase1

The New Wave Of Underwater Hotels

At SeaBase1, where affordable eco-tourism is the focus, you'll be able to mix research and relaxation. Recreational guest divers can join professionals on tasks like reef restoration - ideally to the east of Ambergris Caye in Belize, the hoped-for location. The project's chief instigator, Richard Cooper, a longtime University of Connecticut marine sciences professor, was himself an aquanaut on Sealab and several of the world's first science-oriented sea bases in the 1960s and '70s. Dr. Cooper died last year, but a board of directors, including his son, carries on with a plan to create a nonprofit corporation and raise the roughly $35 million they'll need to create this diving destination.

SeaBase1 is envisioned as a boxy, four-story structure that will be more dormitory and laboratory than hotel - a real working base, with room for up to 25 aquanauts. Butlers need not apply. Divers will enter at the top of the base, a depth of about twenty feet. As the name implies, SeaBase1 could beget SeaBase2 and a series of additional bases in other places.

Marty #438204 05/17/12 01:12 PM
I like it! Can I volunteer? Actually I have been thinking of dedicating my body to science IF - they will bury me at sea. I would be willing to let them film and record how the ocean and its animals go about eliminating dead stuff. HEY this is not gross - would you rather have worms or fish eat you?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.