Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#489437 04/13/14 05:42 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I recently visited San Pedro. Why was no one swimming in the water, and is the situation the same for all the beaches in Belize? Someone mentioned baracudas as the reason.

Depends where you were on the island. Area with heavy sea grass tend to be avoided. Boca Del Rio park where the cut meets the sea is a very popular place for the locals to swim.
barracudas are not the problem.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
ron Offline
R
The water in front of San Pedro is very shallow, There is much sea grass and there is heavy boat traffic. In order to get deep water to swim in you would be swimming in with the boats. That is not good.

If you go out on a Sunday and walk along the beaches, you'll see tons of families out swimming. Most people who live here are working during the day, so can't swim or hang out on the beaches and tourists are often out and about doing things and prefer to swim off the docks to avoid the sea grass. There are a few beaches where you can swim off the beach but the water is shallow in most places. There is no problem with barracudas or any other fish. I suspect someone was pulling your leg.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks! Must be a popular locals joke - a few told me not to swim with shimy jewellery on, as that attracts the baracudas!

W
OP Offline
W
yes, I noticed lots of sea grass. Thanks for the tip on a popular area to swim next time.

The advice about shinny jewelry is valid whether it attracts barracudas or land sharks.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Ramons, Banyan Bay and Caribbean Villas all have popular swimming beaches as well as the Boca Del Rio park srea. Please be very aware of boat traffic. You can see the boats but they cannot always see you. Be safe and have fun.

Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
The advice about shinny jewelry is valid whether it attracts barracudas or land sharks.
Well said....and funny..... smile

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.