Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#276352 04/11/08 09:25 AM
S
OP Offline
S
"the Prime Minister will introduce constitutional amendments for preventive detention and wire-tapping"

I was so glad to see the CP (crime prevention) issue thrown out when the PUP came into power about ten years ago. Sad to see it brought back in. Although it may sound like a smart move, it is totally unconstitutional.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
S
OP Offline
S
Constitutional amendments will give cops more powers

The crimes allegedly committed by Barrow's predecessors make for good political theater � but the crime problem faced by the new government is grounded in the hard reality of deadly violence on the streets. And to solve it the prime minister is making proposals that can only be described as radical.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow

"We are taking this raft of constitutional changes to the House on Friday, the twenty-fifth of April and those changes are going to Cabinet on Tuesday for approval. I want to say to them look I am proposing that we also change the constitution in order to allow for this kind of preventive detention to take place. I need, first of all, to have the Cabinet on board. I imagine it will not be a problem given what we're seeing. This is an assault on our society and I think radical departures are called for. What gives me some comfort and what I hope will give the media and the society also some comfort is the fact that even though these measures are extreme because they involve constitutional changes, there will have to be that ninety day cooling off waiting period if you will and I hope that the debate will be comprehensive and that we can get some sort of a sense from the public whether they are in agreement with these extreme measures, providing of course, that we ring them around with the kinds of safeguards that will militate against any abuse or excess on the part of the police."

"We're bringing in this gentleman Mr. Harold Crooks and part of his remit is not just to try to help the police in terms of becoming more effective at crime fighting but to deal with how we will make the police more accountable to the public, to deal with how we will curb the excess that masses of people have been complaining about in terms of the way the police carry out their functions, the way they do their jobs. If, for example we move ahead with an expanded law in terms of telephone intercepts, that man we noh have the police listening to Jules Vasquez, or to Adele or to Ann-Marie Williams. The tools of trying to intercept telephone calls will only be employed against the known criminal players."

Harold Crooks is a career police officer from Jamaica with twenty-two years experience on the force, including three years as national security advisor to the Jamaican government. He holds a law degree and is a part time lecturer in criminology at the University of the West Indies.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=20573

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.