Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I tuned in late to Channel 7's Good Morning San Pedro so I don't know who the three people were who made the presentation about the proposed changes to the constitution but it was very interesting.
HOWEVER, I am confused about the section on claiming that all the oil found in Belize should belong to all the people of Belize (therefore the Government) not to the people who own the land.
When Jade or other gems are found do they belong to the government? If not, why would oil be considered different than any other mineral?
They talked in length about compensating the land owner for "the use of the land" but really - they are going to destroy the property for any other use - how can that be compensated?

Other than the oil thing I mostly liked the proposals set forth.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
There was a meeting about the 22 proposed changes at the Lion's Den last night.

Steve told us over coffee and we all agreed it was not very well advertised before hand. He said the meeting was pretty quiet as far as he saw.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Here in Alberta (BC & Saskatchewan), for the most part, oil & gas rights are owned by the government. This is a very good thing for the people, assuming the government does right by the people.

The reason it is a good thing for the people, is that royalties on sales of production, are collected by the government and then the government has more money to use for health,infrastructure, etc. These things all benefit the people.

The surface owners are compensated for the loss of the use of their land, by the oil companies paying an original bonus consideration, fee for loss of use, etc. and annually a rental (rents are usually more than $3000.00 per year, it depends on the size of the land being used to drill and/or produce)

I could go on and on and in much greater detail, but for those not working in the oil industry, this is probably too much info already. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Seashell...you got an oil well in your back yard? wink

P
P
Working in the Alberta Oilsands I can say I agree with Seashell that the government should own the oil. Though our province is under great infrastructure pressures, do to the fact the population is growing at unsustainable rates, the royalties collected by the government has allowed them to make great advances in the medical and school systems. The Alberta government is collecting over 2 billion dollars a year in these oil royalties. And strangely enough most of the big oil companies agree with having to pay the royalties as they themselves believe that the oil belongs to everyone.

OP Offline
This has been very educational. I have since learned that all minerals are the property of the government - so I guess that is fair. I thought they were picking oil only.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
N
N
How is it handled in the States? Do the people own minerals/oil etc or individuals?

northern Canuck:

Try this for your answer!

http://geology.com/articles/mineral-rights.shtml

Never Use money to measure wealth
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
How is it handled in the States? Do the people own minerals/oil etc or individuals?

It depends on the state. But the property owner doesn't usually own the mineral rights by default. In Michigan where I grew up, property was either sold with or without mineral rights. So if you owned the land, but the prior owner still owned the mineral rights, he could sell them to an oil company and they would have right to the oil on your land. If they wanted to place a rig on your land, they would have to lease that land from you and could only do it with your permission, but if you didn't allow it, they could set up on your neighbors land and drill sizeways to get your oil.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.