Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Director Of the Immigration Department Ruth Meighan is director no more. Meighan had her farewell party this afternoon at Immigration Headquarters in Belmopan. Her term came to an abrupt end after Cabinet took a decision on Tuesday to transfer her to the vacant post of Finance Undersecretary.

Today we asked Immigration Minister Godwin Hulse whether she was moved because she could not get along with Minister of State Elvin Penner. He told us quote, that "whatever exists between the minister of state and Ms Meighan was not the deciding factor." He said the fact is that there was a senior post open at the Ministry of Finance for which she was a fit. Hulse added that he hates to lose Meighan with whom he had worked on upgrading passport regulations. We also asked whether five visas recently discovered missing at the Westenr border had anything to do with her departure - and he said absolutely not.

He says they plan to find a new Director from within the department.

Meighan has weathered many storms as she was Chief Elections Officer in 2008 and Director of Immigration in 2012 during the well-publicized rush of naturalizations.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Last week we reported on the sudden shift in the Department of Immigration - where Director Ruth Meighan was quite suddenly removed. Her minister, Godwin Hulse said he would have wished that she could stay on - as they had worked closely together. In a way, that seemed to offer some validation to the rumour that his Minister of State Penner had her pushed out. Today we asked the Prime Minister, was she indeed pushed? Here's what he had to say:..

Jules Vasquez
"Sir, will Honorable Elvin Penner become the full Minister of Immigration? He remains Minister of State. I understand that a Cabinet decision was taken to transfer Ruth Meighan the director. Was that a decision because of his dissatisfaction with her?"

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
"No sir, there is a lady Mrs. Castillo who has resigned from the service. She used to be Commissioner of GST I believe and she had occupied a particular sort of head of unit position in the Ministry of Finance. Her resignation has left that position open. It appears to us that Mrs. Meighan is well qualified, so that's the reason for that lateral transferred."

Jules Vasquez
"But long have we heard that the Minister of State and the former director had differences and fundamentally it came down to the fact that he had been stripped of his power. Will some of his powers be restored?"

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
"You are asking me to comment on hearsay. I can't do that. I am telling you what has triggered the lateral move of Mrs. Meighan and I will leave it at that."

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.