Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#209781 07/25/03 07:52 PM
OP Offline
Have been watching & reading on line the A.C. board for awhile, but being nosey.After the loss of the UDP. How are things now that the PUP are
in power? I've read the Times, Reporter, & Amandala. But want the Boards report on your feeling's on the changes for good or bad. My heart is in A.C. but I know that they make up only a small part of the Big Picture of Belize.
I'm not looking for attacks (for /against) save it
for editorials. Just an honest assessment of Belize today. Just to save another fight I'm White, 43yrs old, New Englander and not a crony of either party just interested political junky.

#209782 07/25/03 10:59 PM
K
K
Hi David1960c, The PUP won the general elections this year, it was actually the first time since 1981 that the same party won the elections two times in a row. However, PUP lost in the district to which AC belongs and will be under UDP rule. So your question about change is actually only related to AC, rather than the country as a whole. Also, this was the first time that the local and natinal elections were held on the same day. It is generally considered a good idea not to voice a political opinion if you live in Belize, but are not Belizian. From what I can tell, and this is just an opinion, the PUP (blue) seems to have a somewhat stronger base in the Mestizo population, while the UDP (red) seems to have more supporters among the Creole, Garifuna...I went to rallies for both parties and although there are some differences in the parties platforms, generally speaking the difference is not great. UDP's major issue in this year's election was corruption, while the PUP of course stressed the importance of continued rule by the party in power.
I will let somebody else take it from here.

#209783 07/26/03 02:00 AM
You did just fine, Kris!

Gone fishing!!
#209784 07/27/03 07:53 AM
PUP won Central Govt.
UDP won the majority on the San Pedro Town Board. SPTB now consists of members of both parties, with UDP holding majority.
SP elected the first woman Mayor in the history of Belize - Mayoress Elsa Paz.
Each one of Belize's national newspapers has a strong political bias.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.