Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56684 09/06/02 04:06 PM
OP Offline
Very sadly our new vet Richard, and his wife Jo are having to return to the UK. The directors of Saga would like to thank them for the time they have spent on the island where they have truly made a difference and we have been very lucky to have them if only for a short while.

But this means that Saga, and the island in general, will shortly be without a vet. As many of you know, from the discussions on the board, a vet is key to the work of Saga and so we would be very interested to hear from anyone that would consider relocating to work with the society.

Perhaps there is a vet that would consider a sabbatical here, or maybe you are retired and would consider some time on the island.

If you are interested in talking with us about the options then please email me at [email protected]

Many thanks

#56685 09/09/02 04:50 PM
M
M
Oh No! That is very sad news for all animals with health problems or don't have a home on AC. Even little things like getting shots for a family pet will be a challenge. My fingers are crossed that you can find a Vet very soon. When will Dr. Bron be back?

#56686 09/10/02 12:52 AM
Have you considered posting to a Veterinarian message board? There must be such a thing.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#56687 09/10/02 12:07 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the tip Seashell - I will do a few searches and see what I come up with. Bron was not due to come back until next summer so we certainly need an interim plan.

#56688 09/13/02 02:34 PM
any luck yet? if i were qualified i would be on the next plane. texas a & m univ in bryan/college station spits out many vets each semester. maybe someone is interested in an internship. if anyone needs an accountant to relocate to the island let me know. good luck in the vet search.
gay

#56689 10/01/02 03:57 PM
Hi

Has there been any news about finding a new Vet??

We visited Saga in May. They where doing wonderful work. It would be a shame if they could not continue.

#56690 10/02/02 08:52 PM
How 'bout posting at Vet schools for new grads....I know they want to make $$ but some may be looking for adventure. wink I went to U of MD Vet school, briefly, and they've got a good program. Multi animal,etc. Maybe contact them? Maybe I could help? Let me know.

Grace DeVita
#56691 10/06/02 10:27 AM
OP Offline
Just to update everyone we seem to have put together a temporary solution for Saga for the interim. Jan (who used to work with Bron) is back on the island and will be opening the clinic and Sheila (the vet from Corazal) has agreed to come over regularly - probably every other Friday depending on the need - to carry out surgeries.

We are still working on a long term plan but it looks like Saga will be recruiting their own vet and paying a basic wage, plus accommodation and a variety of discounted services provided by local businesses. When we have put the full package together we will post details on the website and I will update folks here. We will probably be advertising in Mexico (an English/Spanish speaking vet would be good)but will also contact the US med schools as you suggest as it would probably suit a new grad.

We are also looking at a "Visiting Vet" program similar to the one they have been running in Cozumel. Again we need to put the package together but for any vets out there looking for a vacation on the island this may be for you!

Thank you everyone for your support.

#56692 10/06/02 05:18 PM
Marie-looks like i MAY be able to get into the class for a "vet tech".....happy to hear ya'll are getting something in place. I continue to call vets here in Texas to see if we can find help!!!! We'll see you soon! I emailed Bron, but haven't heard back.....Rick deleted your e with her address....can you send again??? Thanks...as i may have used an old address!!! C

#56693 10/06/02 09:55 PM
Thats good news

You may want to check out this web site.
www.yarf.net
We had some contact with Susan and took them some supplies during our travels to the Yucatan. They do a great job and may be able to offer some assistance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.