Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
Howdy again, y'all.

I've noted all the board's recommendations for guides for snorkeling and scuba-ing, but have yet to book anything. Now getting nervous, don't wanna miss out during Christmas to New Year's. Should I book ahead with, say, Amigos del Mar, or Alfonse Graniel, Hillboo and Elbert....

I'm totally psyched to snorkel...because of advice on this board, Sweet Pea and I got our own masks (with prescription lenses!) and fins...

More to the point, I've never scuba'd before....the issue is, though I'm game and fit, a good swimmer, I've got baddo sinuses...chronically inflamed says the CAT scan, though feeling decent at the moment... I'd love to scuba dive, but am afraid of causing permanent damage. Twin Brother (former Marine Recon Ranger, scuba-trained) says "Don't be a wuss. How do you know you won't feel wonderful? Don't miss a chance." Any advice from people who know? Can I safely take a resort course, if someone can give one? Would I know if I was doing damage? I don't want to be a dreaded "problem child" for a scuba instructor...
Thank you for considering this question! Y'all are so helpful to everyone! Your sincerity and enthusiasm--and knowledge of this special place--really comes through.

If you want a really good sound answer, go to a Physician or a PA. Don't take a risk until you get real medical advice. Mel S....

Mel Sinderman
Any chance you get to scuba should be taken advantage of. But you should probably not scuba if you have sinus problems or trouble equalizing your ears. I`m sure other more experienced divers or instructers could groove you in on it.

F
F
Before you jump into diving please check out this website: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/
Check out the FAQs or send one of the medics an email. You don't have to be a DAN member to get info. Good luck.

Fish2
Ears, nose and throat are very connected. However, sinus “infection” is something else. I'll bet you've used saline solution in treating your sinuses. Think about it – salt water? Can you “pop” your ears by swallowing or yawning? If so then diving shouldn't be a problem. If you can snorkel and free dive you should be able to SCUBA. The biggest problem with clearing your ears is in the first 15'.

frown Now this is going to sound gross – so if you are queasy don't read any further. Almost everyone comes up from the first dive with a mast full of mucus. That means we gave our sinuses a good bath. We learn to discreetly take care of this prior to getting onto the boat. (While on the surface remove mask, wash off face.) Your head will feel better all day.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I too have sinus "issues" and have found that...ok non divers..look away...if you snort a bit of clean (not sandy) ocean water it helps clear me up. The salt water dries me out. The entire time I was in AC I had no problems.
Warning: It Smarts!!!!!
If you have true sinus problems and are unable to clear in a free dive to say, 20' then let the dive master know before you all go out. In AC I've found they are very understanding and will do their best to help.
Get to lighthouse reef and half moon caye if you find that you can dive..they ROCK! Great wall dive.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
You might want to try snorkeling first and see if you can get your ears to equalize on a free dive down to 8 - 10 ft (you'll need to be able to hold your breath for awhile) before you commit to a scuba trip. Your doctor (especially if he/she is a diver) may have a solution for you, though.
have fun!
Dog

The resort courses typically are done at Hol Chan (to the best of my knowledge). They initially don't dump you in water too deep to stand up. After the preliminaries, they take you deeper. If there is a problem with your sinuses and you can't clear, it will become very evident very quickly and you just go shallower and take your time trying to clear. I have sinus "issues" too, and I generally take a sudafed or triaminicin an hour or so before setting out, and very seldom have to abort a dive. The particular state of my sinuses will become evident when the plane starts descending on the way in. If I can clear then, I probably won't have any problems diving.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Great point Bobber!!! DOH...forgot about the plane ride in...hehe

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
W
OP Offline
W
You all are just great; thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences. (Perhaps especially the ooky details; very kind to share the reality--and let me know what to expect.)

Actually, "Fish2" steered me to the Diver's Action Network, and an anesthesiologist and diving medicine expert wrote me back, attaching a pertinent article from a medical journal that basically said, not a good idea--if the sinuses don't equillibrate well on land, they're not likely to do so under pressure, and the resulting "barotrauma" includes hemorrhaging into the surrounding tissue, etc. Now THAT's ooky.

Great idea on the free diving--some years ago I was able to dive down to 22 feet (motivated by greed, to capture an emperor's helmet shell, occupied at the time) and did okay. The cavities have been through troubled times since, but I'm going to try that again and see how it goes. And if I have to watch the fishies with the sun on my back, well that ain't so bad. These bodies we inhabit are precious, not perfect.

We have a flight at 7:30 am tomorrow and I just can't wait. YAY!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.
Woodsprite

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.