Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63232 02/19/03 07:40 AM
O
OP Offline
O
I'm planning a trip for me and my boyfriend's 3 yr anniversary for mid-Jan 2004. I saw Ramon's Village in a clothing catalogue I got in the mail and wanted to check it out. I noticed that this same question has been asked before and saw some good answers in which I will keep in mind.

However, I didn't really find out what I needed to know, so that's why I'm here. If anyone can answer these for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thx.

1) What's the weather like in January?

2) What's the deal with sand fleas and how bad are they at Ramon's? And what are the best ways to avoid them?

3) Best places to eat?

4) Best excursions, tours, etc?

5) Best place for non-cheesy souvenirs?

6) Can I drink the water?

7) Is U.S. currency (cash or plastic) accepted or do we have to exchange?

8) What does one do to prepare beforehand (type of clothing, the best suntan lotion, passport, etc)?

9) Any special tips, Something To Keep In Mind, etc?

Hello,
My wife and I stayed at Ramones in Oct. for our Honeymoon. It was wonderful, see "Heaven on Earth" topic. I believe the weather stays the same other than the rainy season. It was very comfortable in Oct. We had no problems with sand fleas. All the food we had was wonderful. If you look around on the board you will see people chat about different places. I'm not a food conossuoir (sp), but I'm sure some places are better than others. As far as tours go, I would definately recommend Shark Ray Alley. Incredible day with lots to see. Also, the cave tubing was very entertaining. If you are into history, Lamanai would be for you. It's fun if you really don't care about Mayan ruins. We didn't drink the water out of the tap, but Ramones gave you plenty of bottled water and it was never an issue. I liked to exchange American cash for Belize so I didn't feel like I was getting ripped off.I used my credit card most the time. Currency was never a problem for us. You definately have to have a passport. And finally, the only regret was I didn't bring enough film. Buying film at the groc. store was my biggest $$$ downfall.
Lastly, I would recommend reading a lot of the topics on the board. For me it was invaluable. Have a great trip!

I
I
To solve the bug and sunscreen issues all in one shot... Avon makes "Bug Guard Plus"
It is waterproof spf 30 along with insect repellent. I just used it like lotion all over every morning after my shower. Worked great. Much better than the regular Skin So Soft.
It may not be in the regular book this time of year but I think an Avon rep can special order it.

Hi Ororostorm,
I stayed at Ramon's village in Aug '01 and at Steve and Becky's in Aug '02 (which is associated with Ramon's and right across the street so you get to use their pool, etc). It's my favorite place in the world!! And here are some answers to some of your questions:
1) I've never been in January so can't help with that one, sorry!
2) I've never worn bug spray at any time while on the island but everyone else says it's bad so I would at least take some... Maybe it's the time of year but I've never had a problem
3) Of the places I've eaten at so far Sweet Basil is my favorite (North of the cut, follow the only road and it's on your left)
4) Daytrip to Lamanai was educational and interesting, cavetubing was very fun *make sure you take one of those disposable waterproof cameras, you'll understand why when you get there*, and the catamaran sail to Caye Caulker with stops at Hol Chan and Shark Ray for snorkeling was awesome -- very relaxing and we saw a rainbow on the sail back. We booked all of our tours through Ramon's and I can't remember who did Lamanai and cavetubing but the catamanran sail was with Hustler.
5) For souvenirs I like the boutique at the Holiday Hotel, and the jewelry shop in Fido's courtyard owned by Elizabeth... lots of cool places.
6) Ramon's gives you filtered water in your room everyday and usually if you order water in a restaurant it comes bottled.
7) already been answered
8) Nobody could have told me how to prepare, I was absolutely blown away when I went... I fell in love with the place and the people smile

If you would like to see some pictures from Ramon's you can check them out at: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4093829 Not all of them are mine, somebody in our tour group sent me his as well....
Hope this incredibly long reply helps!!

T
T
Hello, we just got back from AC in January, we stayed from Jan 5th thru Jan 12th, we had a week of wonderful weather, although some did say the week before had been a bit rainy, our days were very warm, laying out in the sun- i will say even HOT, but also at night, i usually ended up with a sweatshirt or light jacket on, but that was me. I did not have any problems with the bugs at all, never once even put bug spray on, my husband did once. Ramons is beautiful and the staff is great, you will have a wonderful time, we cant wait to go back, hope this helps a little!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.