Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
ansky Offline OP
OP Offline
A
My boyfriend and I have an urgent need to "get outta town" and are planning an extended weekend to Belize. We would like to stay on AC, and while this forum is very helpful, it is somewhat daunting to go through all the posts. Thus, I thought I would give the profile of my trip and throw it out there for comments and suggestions. Please and thank you for any and all assistance.

ACCOMODATIONS - We would like to stay at a clean place with a nice pool and beach. If we can get an affordable oceanfront/oceanview room, that would be a bonus. I think I would like it to be within a 5-10 minute walk of town, or at least within walking distance of several good restaurants.... In my research, I believe there are good restaurants speckled in many places and not just in town. (Restaurant suggestions are welcomed too - I have already read that Papi's Diner is good, as is Jaleso (sp?) and Capricorn???)

ACTIVITIES - I am a certified Open Water diver, but my boyfriend is not. I would like to dive and he would like to try it out. If I can get Advanced Open water while I am there, that would be cool, but don't want to spend my whole 4 days doing it. I am also mildly concerned that I am not certified to go deep enough to make the Blue Hole trip a worthwhile day...? Any suggestions for dive operators, dive sites, etc would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

ACTIVITIES again - The cave tubing thing sounds like it would be fun. However, I have read that you can do it in either a half day or a full day. What is the difference, which is better, and why? Any good tour operators that someone could suggest that offer a good deal would be great....

Am I missing any other "Must-Do's"? Thanks in advance. I can't wait to go - leaving in a little over two weeks.

Hotel wise I suggest Banana Beach as that sounds like it would meet your needs. You can get an oceanfront suite with a kitchen or else oceanview rooms for a cheaper price. They have 2 pools and are about 10 mins from town. Coconuts is supposed to be nice too and also has a pool.

Restaurants, Caliente was our favorite last year. Jambal Jerk Pit is also good, we like Sharks for Pizza, Ricos or Estels for breakfast and there are a lot of places we have gotten great reviews on we plan to try this time around, like Elvis, Papi's, El Divino, Lagniappe and Casa Picasso. BCs Beach BBQ on Sundays is a must for lunch.

I don't dive so can't help there. Cave Tubing was great but it is an all day trip. If you don't have too much time I'd say spend it mostly on AC and save the cave tubing till next time. You could do a snorkeling trip on a catamaran which can take you over to Caye Caulker too.

Andrea in Atlanta
12 days to go!

Andrea in Atlanta
S
S
Diving: Amigos del Mar - excellent, fun dive masters; link above via "Goods & Services," you could E-mail them with your Blue Hole questions

Parasailing: Fido's Dock with Tony

Sailing: Geraldo Badillo, 226-2264; fun and serene, with snorkeling and Caye Caulker if you like

Great local food: Los Cocos restaurant on north end of town, left off middle street past Richie's Supermarket (Save Less?) and Castillo's Hardware; wonderful whole fried snapper and fish fillets, meals are $5-7US

Happy decompression trip!

In my opinion, Banana Beach is farther from town than they would like (more than 10 minutes). Since they are only going for a few days, probably a hotel, instead of a condotel, would suit them just fine. In this regard, I'd probably recommend the Sunbreeze. They will be closer to the activities and it would be a good location for determining where they might want to stay next time. From the Sunbreeze it is a fairly easy walk to all of the in-town restaurants and clubs.

It has a very nice pool and it is much closer to Amigo's del Mar dive operation. Not that you must be near to Amigo's as they will pick you up regardless. However, sometimes it is fun to hang out at their dock after a dive, or get dropped back at their dock instead of your own, do a bit of shopping, have lunch at Lily's or Fidos or do a bit of beach walking on your way back to your hotel.

Further, if you are only going to be there for a few days and don't have your Advanced, I don't recommend the trip out to the Blue Hole, this time around.

Once you find the love of AC on this trip, when you get home, get your boyfriend certifed and get your Advanced, heck, get him all the way through his Advanced too. Then when you return to San Pedro, you can both go out to the Blue Hole more confident in your skills (after you have done refresher ocean dives off of San Pedro, of course). You will both enjoy the Blue Hole dive day trip considerably more, if you wait and have the proper training for it.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

we are going in early May as well--impromptu trip too!! And my girlfriend doesnt dive and I do (SOUND FAMILIAR?)!! We will be there May 4-8.....how about you?

A
ansky Offline OP
OP Offline
A
May 8-13.

D
D
the Sun Breeze is recommended for accommodation and for diving Aqua Dives.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.