Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69964 06/20/03 09:28 AM
Mel S Offline OP
OP Offline
We just came back from Belize last night. Once again after living in the region for years and going back many times on trips, I must admit I am still enchanted with the yucatan. We spent alot of time with old Belizean friends and we enjoyed every moments. The fishing, , diving, and sailing was great ! The fishing was great, but you had to fish in the river or the cut during the night, out in the deep blue water is unreal. We caught so much fish it was crazy. The best technique was trolling yo-zuris, rattle-traps, and rapalas using 20 lbs test line on rather large spinning rigs. Fly fishing was near impossible due to high winds, and low tides several days. I did well using sardines and light tackle fishing in the cut during the nights. The hurricane season is just starting and people are scared for their families lives. Huricane Keith has traumatized people it seems emotionally. Let's pray for these san Pedranos this season ! The isle is growing too much for me, and most San Pedranos it appears. Enough is enough, if the population goes up again, the isle will not be San Pedro, it will be another over obnoxious Americanized Beach spring break place. On the lighter side, the new national parks are beautiful and helping out the Belizean wildlife. Best-Wishes, Mel S.....PS, Very nice to meet you Don Pedro, Chris, and Miss Charlie.

Mel Sinderman
#69965 06/20/03 04:22 PM
Hi Mel S - saw your post on the other spot (capt jeff etc) but just wanted to say that I was glad to hear about Justo and Geraldo. How are they? I missed seeing them this year (and the El Gato) but shooting for next Feb. Wondering if they still had their ElGato shirts - I suppose w/the glorious sunshine they're bout faded completely out? All the more reason to get back...

#69966 06/20/03 04:54 PM
mel, i just got back wednesday, a short trip.

while i am in much agreement about the growth, my impression was that the san pedranos are pushing for it, not the chamber. they put a hold on the # of vehicles, and to get one in you must take one out. but the locals (and others) buy them in. the chamber is concerned about the traffic. approx. 83 taxis are on the island. why?? the drivers want to make money. and did you see all those HUGE speedbumps they are putting in all over? i first visited 10 years ago, and boy has it changed.

it was suggested to me that caye caulker may take up the slack. then another said no way, too small. that said, i liked it the way it was. but i'm just a tourist (their bread & butter!).

#69967 06/20/03 04:55 PM
mel s check out my fishing report I e mailed you a mess>>>>sounds like you also love life, and are a free thinker .,good for you .life is so short ??? fishing is my love among other things enjoy

Living The Dream Every Day!
#69968 06/20/03 05:31 PM
Mel S Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, Snowbird : Geraldo, and Justo are doing really well. Of course, the off season is rough at times being guides. Jerry Badillo just graduated from highschool and he is all bright and bushy tailed, ready for junoir college. Justo is full of it as usual, but he always loves to joke and tease everyone. His second, {or maybe third} wife just had a baby. He has several kids from Honduras with him too these days. Sweetjane you have some good points about the developement going on. Caye Caulker had more tourism then san Pedro in those two trips going to Caulker ! The prices are slightly cheaper somewhat I guess. The hand ferry and the rough road still helps keeping the northern section of the isle staying Belizean style, not Orlando, Florida. Mickey Mouse can't deal with Morellet crocs it seems. Capt. Jeff, I may have to wait until January { arghhhhh } to go to Belize. in August we will be seeing relatives near Chicago. Right now, I will be fishing for Trout, Bass, and Walleyes. Best-Wishes, mel.....

Mel Sinderman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.