Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mambo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My husband is bringing his own fishing gear (two rods in a long cardboard tube). Does anyone know if he'll have any trouble checking them at the airport? I'm guessing it will be okay, just don't want any surprises early Monday morning. Thanks!

You should be able to check them in without a problem. However, the length might be an issue. That is, you might run into an extra charge if they're full length one piece rods. All that depends on the airline though so you should call them. I'm going to attempt taking my fly rods as carry on, but they're collapsable into a 30" tube, so I'm going to ask to have them put in the hanger closet. I called US Air and they said no problem checking rods in, but I won't find out until I get to the airport if I can take them as carry on. They said this was because the government agencies handle that and not the airline. They did tell me that taking hooks as carry on is definitely out of the question though, and that they must be checked in.

Again, the best thing to do is to call your airline's customer service number and ask for baggage assistance or go to the airline's website and look for the baggage section.

Angelo
S
S
i took a tube for my rods last year on continental and will doing so again this friday when i arrive. i had no problems!! hope to see some of you boarders in san pedro. can't wait to friday! sean crimmins from n.j

Originally posted by Mambo:
My husband is bringing his own fishing gear (two rods in a long cardboard tube). Does anyone know if he'll have any trouble checking them at the airport? I'm guessing it will be okay, just don't want any surprises early Monday morning. Thanks!
Cardboard may not cut it. Personaly, we use Plano durable rod cases. Before tucking the rods in the cases we slip them into rod-sleeves so they don't get scatched up during the long trip. Go luck, and have a great trip ! ms.

Mel Sinderman
We have even seen many folks carry them on too!
We/I carried one on the plane with no tube at all. They just checked for line and hooks NOT being attached. :rolleyes:

T
T
No problem bringing rod cases, although you might want to invest in a hard plastic model. Taca did charge extra several years and not in others.(seemed strange) Flew AA this year and there was no extra charge. TIMO

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.