Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82748 03/22/04 03:41 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I've noticed that lobster season will be open when I'm in town (Oct 1-7) I'm staying at Ramons Villiage.

I have no clue as to what is incorporated in harvesting your own lobsters...

can you do it from the shore?
night or day?
need a license?
what kind of tools?
can it be done by a normal scuba-diver?

I'm sure these questions have been answered before on the board...I apologize for my ignorace... smile

S
S
oh boy

T
T
Michael,
For what it's worth,I'll add my two cents worth on this topic. First, and I could be wrong here, I do not think you will be catching any lobsters near shore by wading. Generally the fisherman use traps or make a kind of shelter from metal roof materials that the lobsters migrate to. These "traps" are accepted as the property of said fisherman, and they are not happy when somebody else takes the catch. Usually during season, many guides will take their fishing customers to check for lobsters if they are near a trap. Most of the time if there are lobster present they will let you dive with them, and try to catch a few. We have done this several times and had lots of fun, but we were told one year that fishing customers were not supposed to do this(according to one local). Not sure about the legal issues,and only heard that once. Also I saw a previous post about fishing from shore or wading to the reef-- not really viable options. You might want to look into hiring a guide for a day and you could fish(catching many)and maybe free dive for a few lobsters. Just my opinion and experience. GOOD LUCK!!
TIMO

Michael,

Are you sure about the season time frame? I thought it was opening in late June?
My husband and I went lobster diving with a private fisherman we hired last year. He took us to his spots/traps (where he laid metal on the ocean bed) When we spoke about the spots he informed us that they have a local rule that you don't dive for them where another local has traps.
I would suggest hiring a local to take you out. You can do 1/2 day or full day. They will even help you catch and prepare on their private beach spots. We caught 7 lobsters, they cleaned and bbq'd 4 of them, and we took the other 3 back to Cp. Morgan's for them to cook for us for dinner the next night. It was great. If you need some info on who we used, I'll look it up.

S
S
Try a search!@!!

JUNE 15.......................................FEB15

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.