Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
We just got back from Costa Maya Resort 3/27-4/3. We went diving with BAD--they were great! I have written more info on that in response to "not so B.A.D.?", for anyone who is interested in the diving.

We had some fears about staying at Costa Maya due to some of the things we read on this board. While Costa Maya is not as nice as their "five star" advertising would lead you to believe, it is not a horrible resort. I never felt unsafe while staying there, and found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. We went to Belize to dive, not to be pampered at a luxury resort. So, we were pleased with the vacation and the diving.

Since people's tastes and expectations vary, I will try not to be judgemental, and just provide facts on the resort. Prior to leaving for vacation, we received notice from II that some of the features were not going to be available at the resort. The week before our trip we got a call from Costa Maya, re-explaining that. At that time they made arrangements with us for transportation from the airport to the resort. As promised "Jesus" from CMR met us at the airport, he took us and our bags to Fido's to catch the water taxi. He also brought us to the supermarket to pick up items to bring to the hotel, since there are no stores in the resort area.

Checking in at the resort consisted of being handed a key, and giving a copy of your credit card. The front desk person then said, "someone will show you to your room". After a few minutes of waiting, we asked to just be pointed in the right direction.

When we entered our room, we found it clean, but a bit outdated. The floors were all tile. The living room furniture was showing some wear. The kitchen had a bar sized fridge, which was roomy enough for all of our groceries and drinks. There was an electric frying pan, which we cooked in almost every night. The microwave looked new, and was quite powerful. There was a toaster, a blender, and a coffee maker. Dishes: 3 spoons, 4 forks, a cork screw, one steak knife, a few butter knives, 4 coffee mugs, 6 drinking glasses, 4 dinner plates, 4 bowls, 4 small plates, a spatula, and a slotted spoon. They DID NOT provide a can opener, a bottle opener, a cutting board, knives, large bowls, or food storage containers. The miniblind above the sink was missing, but the brackets were there. The bathroom was clean, but we noticed tiny bugs in there when we checked in. They went away when we cooled the room with the air conditioner. They came back in the kitchen one day when I forgot to wipe down the counter. The bed was queen sized and extra firm, with two pillows. The closet was roomy. We did not store anything in any drawers, but they are available. They supply you with drinking water in the room. I noticed our water tank had some small particles floating in it, we dumped it, cleaned the container and spigot, and got a new bottle. The water was clean for the rest of the week.

All of the rooms view the ocean. They all have decks. Some rooms had resin chairs and a table on the deck. Ours didn't, but they brought some to us from a vacant room when we asked. The pool is very small, and shallow. I didn't swim in it, but saw kids in there most of the week. There is a beach, but not really for swimming. It is a beach, with a step down to the ocean, there is lots of seaweed, and very few swimmers. With the tradewinds, you can lay on the beach with out getting too warm anyway.

We did not eat in the restaurant. We did walk to Portofino's one night for dinner. There is a beach bar, that was quite popular. It seems that Costa Maya has the cheapest transportation in to town. $5 US in each direction. Other resorts and the island ferry charge $10 for the same trip.

There was a notice in our room that towels and sheets are changed every 4 days. We left our dirty towels on the floor and they changed them daily.

I did not love the resort, but it was comfortable. I didn't want to leave at the end of the week, but I probably won't go back. I would suggest that Costa Maya be a little more honest with their advertising, and finish their improvements as soon as possible.

BES, good honest review!! Staying at Portofino in 28 days!! How was your short experience there? Could you swim there? We are a little worried but don't mine the adventure....Oh would like to do a few shallow dives, was BAD nice do you think I could do some shallow dives 25' to 35'?
Thanks

Just looking for clarification here, right after you mentioned the room being a bit outdated, you said that the floor was tiled. Was that merely an observation or did you think that was a problem (of the outdated kind)? Did you mean linoleum tile or stone tile?

Most places I have been in either have stone tile or a hardwood floor. In Mexico, I have never stayed at a hotel or B&B that had anything other than stone tile floors. So I'm curious as to what you meant, that's all. Thanks.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Thanks for your in-depth report on CMR. We are going through II on a Getaway package may 8-15. Sort of stuck with it as we tried to get out of our reservation but could not. I am not too happy with II and their advertising. In checking with CMR website I found a 7 nite stay for $ 485 May to Sept. We had to settle for a "Getaways" with II as the resort we wanted in AC was not available for an exchange. These "Getaaways" are advertised by II as a "discount packages" at great resorts. We paid $599 for our "discount package" which was $114 more than CMR's rate. I don't know how many are affiliated with II but I would warn you to investigate the "deals" before you commi frown t.

BlackeyedSusan

I'm going to be staying at CMR in a few weeks. Trying to gather as much info as possible so I won't be too surprised when I arrive there. How crowded was the resort? You said the swimming wasn't very good because of the seaweed. Is is possible to swim past the seaweed so you could snorkel? Can you walk for any distance on the beach? Did you ever rent a golf cart or bike at the resort? If so, where did you take them? How was the water taxi service to San Pedro from CMR?
Thanks!

OP Offline
It was just an observation. It is stone tile. Your question reminded me of another detail, the bathroom door was difficult to shut because there was not enough room for it to move back and forth over the tile floor.

OP Offline
Sandytoes,

It is possible to swim past the seaweed, but the best way to snorkel is to go off of the dock. They have wooden steps that go down into the ocean. However, be careful. The bottom step is very slippery and ends right at the water level. We went at night, so I didn't see that. Afterwards, my husband had to pull me up on to the dock, so that I didn't fall.

Another good snorkeling location is Mexico Rocks. It is visible from shore, but you will need to rent a kayak if you want to get out there. It is dangerous to swim anywhere past the end of the dock due to the high volume of boat traffic. We were told to be especially careful in the afternoon, when many of the fishermen and boaters will be druk.

The beach in front of the resort is not long enough for a decent walk. Once you get past that, you can walk along the ocean. It is not all beach, some of it is more like a sandy path. We walked South. We ran into Portofino resort in 15 minutes, and Mata Chica in 45 minutes. We did not walk North, and we heard that there isn't much in that direction.

We did not rent a golf cart. We did talk to people who said they enjoyed using the carts. We were planning to rent one, but never got around to it. They advised us not to take the carts all the way into town. We did not rent bikes, or talk to anyone that did.

The water taxi at the resort was decent. But it only runs 4 times a day in each direction. It is $5 each way, but some guests reported just getting on it without paying. We bought tickets for it at the front desk. They give you a discout if you buy 10 tickets. We took the Island Ferry twice. That was not as roomy or comfortable, and it cost $10US in each direction. It does make more frequent trips. We got wet both times we took the Island Ferry. You stay dry using the resort water taxi.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

OP Offline
John B,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Portofino seemed very nice. It was definitely more upscale than CMR, and the staff were more professional. It was a small resort, I over heard someone describe it as intimate. The areas we saw there were clean and well kept. There is no pool at the resort, but there is a hot tub. The beach was much nicer at that resort. I am not sure about the swimming, I don't recall seeing people in the water, and I am not sure about the seaweed. We went diving with people who were staying there, and their only complaint was the cost of the food there.

BAD was great. They will pick you up at your resort if you want to dive with them. We didn't do any real shallow dives. But they seem to be open to what people want to do. I think they would accomodate your request for a shallow dive, as long as everyone else in the boat didn't object. I wouldn't hesitate to contact them and ask some questions prior to your trip. We emailed them, and they were great about answering questions. When we got to the resort, they remembered us from our email.

Anyone who is on vaction that would actually document the utinsels in a hotel unit and post it needs some help.
:rolleyes:

Jim
That's the only complaint I had with Banana Beach room. The Church kee was worn out. Hard to use. I guess it saw a lot of action before I got there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.