Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
We're a family of 4 coming the first week of July. We all want to go to the Blue Hole (its our first time to Belize) Are there boats to the Blue Hole that cater to snorklers? I've read that snorklers can get left alone while the divers dive. Our 15 year old is a great sport and a strong swimmer, but is legally blind (the 10 year old is another story!)-so we would want a boat or a beach within reach. And, is it possible to hire a boat and guide for this type of thing (maybe not the Blue Hole but more local spots)? It sounds like this is what Tulu does? If yes, do you recommend I call him before we leave? Does he take reservations? Thanks for all your posts!

D
D
I've done that run as a snorkler. It's great! A long ride out though. If you have problems with motion sickness take some dramamine with you. On my trip several tourists got queasy. The boat anchors out there. You can stay close and watch the fun. Lots to see, even if you don't dive. On my run we did an over night at I believe Lighthouse Caye. Could be wrong on that as it's been several years ago. I wouldn't hire a private boat for that. Too expensive, and half the fun is getting to know your shipmates!

You can definitely hire a guide to take you privately to snorkel . Is it that you want to experience these things as a family? If so ...Capt. Bicho from fishingsanpedro.com can make a wonderful day of fishing/snorkeling combo with his fabulous Beach BBQ as well. It is a day your family will never forget!!!....Goody

PS...Blue Hole is,I believe, a good 2 hour boat ride from AC. Friends of ours went diving there with a daughter who only snorkeled and they said it was rough and her daughter tired from the snorkeling. And on the way badk it took an extra hour the water was that rough!!! Capt. Bicho will take you to some great snorkeling sites such as Mexico Rocks, Tres Cocos, Hol Chan, and Shark Ray Alley.

P
P
YES take a private guide. eg & I just came back 5-18-4. We met most wonderful man. Tulu can be found @ Tulu- info to find him by Phyllis. We went with him on two trips (weather stoped one).Made a new friend he'll swim right with you. Has small but dependable boat. Native to Isle knows area VERY well. Could not have been better!
We cannot give Tulu higher rec. PAPA D

OP Offline
I agree with you Dallas Dave, a group is more fun. So now I guess I'm looking for a really fast stable boat to the Blue Hole that is geared towards snorkelers so I won't get stuck waiting around for divers if the water gets rough and the kids get tired. I'm an optimist.

And, Goody, yes, we are eeking out every last bit of family togetherness before our teenager realizes just how stupid and cruel we are (and my Blue Hole adventure may be an end to that!)

Can't wait to meet Tulu, I feel like I already know him. A day with Capt. Bicho sounds wonderful too. We're only staying a week so I'm glad we weren't considering and mainland trips...sounds like we've got plenty to do on AC!

D
D
Hi Goin, the other boarders make an excellent point. Tulu and Bicho are very good for the short, inside the reef snorkeling experience you are probably looking for. Blue Hole is a long way out across open sea. Really a divers place. Very deep in the center. There are many lower impact spots that are great fun and don't take all day and cost a lot of money. I'd also highly recommend Daniel Nunez of Tanisha Tours. Excellent captain, and he also does mainland runs to Lamanai, and Altun Ha. Have fun!!

Great snorkeling locally, with beaches/boats within reach. Probably no need to go to the Blue Hole. Not really a kids snorkel. Alfonso is also highly recommended for families. Where are you staying? Are you going to be on the mainland at all or just AC?

If you are convinced that you want to snorkel the Blue Hole and see Halfmoon Caye and the lovely snorkelling around there, then check in with Ambergris Divers. They have (had?)a snorkellers only boat that goes out there.

As far as snorkelling the Blue Hole, you don't actually snorkel over the hole, you snorkel the coral reef surrounding it.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

...blue hole expensive and a long way to go for snorkeling. Alfonso and Tulu are both great!! Tulu may be able to take just the fam. Alfonso has bigger boat capacity.

Gone fishing!!
Something here that no one else ever mentions. The BH looks great from the aerial photos, but when you are down on the water in a boat, it just looks like you are sitting in the middle of nowhere. We couldn't even make out the surrounding reef structure from the surface. It is a really interesting dive, and the snorkeling is very good, but there are definitely more spots closer in with snorkeling just as good.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.