Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106265 07/24/05 01:38 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Been a regular reader of the board, but now I'd like a little input from some of you AC regulars.

My wife and I are heading to AC for a week in January. After doing our homework, we decided to stay at Mata Rocks, and the more I hear about it, the more excited we are to visit. Anyway - any suggestions would be appreciated, but here are some questions that we have.

1) Scuba certification. Is it worth the time to become certified in AC, or will we be better off being certified back home before our trip. Or is snorkeling beautiful as well?

2) If we only have a week (and admittedly limited funds) is Tikal out of the question & if so, what ruins are more easily accessible.

3) Finally, aside from relaxing on the beach. Does anyone have some "Do not miss" suggestions whether its food or entertainment or attractions.

I should finish this with letting you know my wife and I are pretty low maintenance. We're looking for a relaxing good time and nothing too fancy, but we do like to really experience the culture and customs of the places we visit. thanks.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Given how far in advance it is, get certified before you arrive, or at least do the first part of a referral course (talking PADI here). That way you'll spend the minimum time on your holiday stuck indoors. Then do probably 3 half days of diving.

In just a week forget Tikal. You need several days to do it justice. But do try to visit there some other time. If you plan on your last couple of nights being in San Ignacio (good cheap accommodation available there) then you're near lots of interesting stuff. Xununtunich, for example, is just a half day trip from SI and you can do it with a Bz$5 taxi ride - no need for expensive organised tours.

From San Pedro there are various day tours you can make - visiting the ruins at Lamanai comes to mind. Or maybe cave tubing.

Lots of good restaurants here, but no particular attractions/events that come to mind. Best is not to plan too much and leave time to breathe.

BC's BBQ on Sunday is a must in my book!

Lamanai is also a must!

L
L
If you would like to combine some fishing, snorkeling and a beach picnic, think about a half day excursion that incorporates all those. Mata Rocks can probably help set you up with that.

R.B. Mernitz
Erica (manager) can & will be glad to set you up with all your excursions...The Squirrels Nest Beach Bar is the best , so go relax & enjoy a great vacation at at GREAT resort..... wink wink

John
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for all your suggestions. We can't wait to get there.

What can we expect at Lamanai? I know its ruins, but that's about it.

Thanks.

S
S
Go with Daniel Nunez of Tanisha. He'll show you lots of wildlife on the way.

D
D
I agree with Jesse. Daniel and Tanisha is a fabulous way to see a major ruin. He'll stop at everything he sees on the way to show you...and thats a lot. Professional, personable, and the most experienced. He pioneered that run. First class boat, first class person.

My response(s) will only address the diving. My question to the two of you is, how long have you been considering scuba? Are you only thinking about it because you are going to Belize or is taking up diving, something that you have long considered? Is it something that you both want to pursue or is one of you just going along with the other?

If you are serious about the diving, then it IMNSHO, you should get certified at home. While you can take all your classroom and pool work at home and then get a referral to finish up in Belize, it is more expensive that way. Taking the certification while on your holiday will take away from enjoyment time, so I'd say that's not a good option for you. Further, assuming you take your home-based training in a lake or more northerly portion of the ocean, I believe that you will enjoy the diving in Belize that much more.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.