Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
kelly d Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it legal (or moral or culturally acceptable) to take home something found on a beach, like a shell, piece of coral, rock, etc? Many places in California outlaw taking home even a grain of sand, and Hawaii has some cultural taboos that say if you take something home it will cause you bad luck forever! What's the scoop on AC? How about buying such things?

We each brought home 1 conch shell but it must go in checked luggage, not carry-on.

If youn get a "fresh" one, scrub the algae off with bleach water and a wire brush, air dry. Then pack it. Things will smell alot better!!

I did bring two small ziploc bags of sand, but they were marked for our Coastal Studies Institute at the university. No questions were asked, and they did go through my bag.

X
Xoe Offline
X
I brought home an assortment of tiny shells, also pieces of coral, all found among piles of debris on the beach -- certainly no loss to anyone there. They now are arranged around a wood carving of a sting ray -- a nice reminder of wonderful Belize!

L
L
I could be cursed, I brought home sand(Black) from Hawaii about 30 years ago,but I have had a lot of fun since!!It's all been great!!The sand is still in my home, I keep tabs on it, HA HA

lacysisland...still have my black sand from kona, hawaii from 36 years ago! don't believe i was ever cursed by taking it...

kelly d...i brought 3 conch shells, found on the beach, home with me....small seashells and coral, as well....no problem for me..

F
F
When we cleared out of Belize at the airport, we were specifically asked if we had conch shells in our luggage. We didn't. But those of you who took shells home, were you asked, and if so, what did you say?

This was 3 weeks ago.

We had two in our carry on and had to unpack them and find a place for them in our checked luggage. I've been told they could be considered possible weapons...?

My reality check bounced.
I had to take hot sauce out of my carry on luggage and put it into checked luggage when leaving Dominica last month, Also considered a weapon! But they let me carry on a cricket bat...go figure!

Yep - I got a chuckle from the same situation... our conchs were safely put away, but another person on the flight carried on a big ole walking stick he'd purchased.

My reality check bounced.
I had conchs,rum,and Marie Sharps in suitcase and customs never opened my bag. I also carried on 2 walking sticks and my cain, never given a second look. Must be lucky.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.