Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bobz Offline OP
OP Offline
B
...what & where would you buy�?

My post in not intended to solicit offers from those in the real estate business, but rather initiate a discussion on what people (particularly from those already living on the island) believe to be a good opportunity to own a little piece of this paradise.

Would you buy north or south of the cut or in San Pedro itself. Condo unit, single family home or a plot and build your own home? Be part of a large planned community or go it alone?

The controversial south beach development has attracted much discussion on these boards, but there are few posts on other smaller developments or opportunities on the island.

Having visited Ambergris Caye on several occasions my wife and I have fallen in love with this little island and someday hope to own a vacation home here.

Any comments are appreciated

Bobz.

JZB Offline
I think that before anyone can answer your questions you will need to give a little more information.

Telling you what my vision of living here is will not help you. You must have an idea on the amount of time you will spend here, be aware of the expenses involved in owning a stand alone home, The non privacy issues that you need to deal with in owning a condo and of course the challenges of building a home.

Before I can tell you what you should do you need to give me a better idea on the type of lifestyle you plan on living here.

I like to live away from everyone else but unfortunately that will not last forever.

Just some thoughts.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Yes, I was thinking the same. Many of your questions relate to personal preferences that only you can answer.

J
J
We bought a condo, one of the big reasons is we probably won't ever live on Ambergris full time. The issues of keeping property safe and maintenance were the biggest considerations. Also affordability.

Bobz, I can let you know more about what we want to do after we get back this year. We were in SP last year and fell in love with the island, hope to make it some kind of home place, part time, full time, don't know yet. We're going back in 24 days (yeah!) and are going to do some research and figure out how it will work for us. But as others above have said, I'm sure you're going to have to do your own too.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
B
bobz Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We've spent three weeks in Ambergris Caye in the last 18 month including a fantastic New Years trip in 06/07.

To date we've stayed in cabanas / condos just outside town to about 3 miles south. We enjoy the privacy of being out of town, but being relitivley new to the island it was important to have good accessibility to San Pedro. I've explored the south of the island and as far north as has been possible (taking our rental golf cart to it's limits on the road north of the cut). We've gone as far north as Azul by boat. (Rojo Lounge was amazing!!)

We're not anywhere near retirement and so will not make more than two or three trips to the island at least for the foreseeable future. It would be a vacation destination for our family and friends in the short to medium term, coming down for thanksgiving, new years vacations etc. However in the long term we can see ourselves spending at least part of the year here.

I have no preference as to north or south at this point, however I do know I want to be located out of the town. How far out of town I'm open to.

I'm doing my research from afar in preparation for our next trip sometime within the next 6 months. The Ambergris Caye website and in particular these forums have been a valuable source of information for which we are very grateful.

Thanks to all who contribute!
Bobz

JZB Offline
Sounds to me like a condo would suit you best. The neighborhood would be strictly your preference. Owning a home here can be a huge headache and very costly if you only visit 2 or 3 times a year. Raw land is probably the best investment but doesn't give you a place to stay when you visit (unless you like camping!).

Hi, Bobz. I agree with JeanH (usually do anyway! smile ), as she lists major reasons why we chose a condo. We also like the south because it is comparatively quieter than in town, but easy to get to town if need be. If you want specifics, please PM me, as our purchase was fairly recent. Good luck with your search.

P
P
If you do look into a condo, make sure you read the condo agreements very carefuly. You do not want to buy something for retirement and then find out your condo agreement does not allow you more than 3 months. Having said that, a condo with a management company is a good thought because you might even get a bit a income. The island is changing so quickly that what you may buy as a residential quiet area (north or south) could be a bustling community, with all the issues that come with that, in 2 years. So check out planning for your area and see what plans have been submitted.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.