Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#297920 09/10/08 12:26 AM
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Elsa Paz Quits Race for San Pedro Mayor
posted (September 9, 2008)

[Linked Image] Elsa Paz - her last name is Spanish for peace, but for the last few weeks she's been at the center of a war within the UDP on San Pedro. And that's why Paz has written to Party Leader Dean Barrow telling him that she is withdrawing her candidacy as Mayor.

Paz, who was a two-term Mayor and seemed a lock to go for three today told us that there has just been too much fighting within the UDP, both the executive and the council. She told us about a dispute in the executive about how to hold a convention for new councillors. And then, last week, two of her councillors walked out of a council meeting after a shouting match with her.

Mayor Paz told us that's it's just been too much fussing and fighting, and right now, she wants no part of it, so she's pulling back. In her letter to the Party Leader, she says she is withdrawing for personal reasons. No word yet on whether the party leader has accepted that withdrawal.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=12148

Live and let live
amazing....

P
P
Is this good or bad for us?

From everything I know about Elsa Paz, it sounds bad. You have a known good entity about to be replaced with a very much unknown.

guess that may depend who decides to run in her place?

i don't think i'd want to be the one in the middle of some of the controversies debated there.

will be interesting to follow this story.

In the many meetings over the years I have had with her, it seemed she always had the communtity first in her priorities.

She was always open to new ideas on making the residents and tourists life better.

I've only heard really good things about her... thats too bad. frown

P
P
It's a shame then that she should be the one forced into resigning. Perhaps others should be put under pressure.....

S
S
I was told a long time ago by a friend of hers that she wasn't interested in running again, too much BS to deal with.

Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Mayor Paz Back in the Race

[Linked Image] Mayor Elsa Paz is back in the race and will be the UDP's Mayoral candidate in March of next year. About a month ago Mayor Paz had sent her resignation letter to the Party Leader, Hon. Dean Barrow, telling him that she was withdrawing her candidacy as mayor because of personal reasons and her discontentment with some party members in the Town Council and UDP Executive. But she has reconsidered and is back in the race as the mayoral candidate for the party.

Mayor Paz accepted an interview with Ambergris Today and confirmed to us that she will be running once more for mayor of her party. "One of the main reasons why I reconsidered running for mayor was because of the people of San Pedro who have come to me asking me to give it another try," commented Mayor Paz. "And another reason was because the Prime Minister did not accept my candidacy withdrawal."

Paz continued by saying that she does have the support of her party and that they are currently working out their differences and trying to communicate with each other for the good of the party and the island. Mayor Paz will be endorsed as the mayoral candidate in an upcoming convention this month.

http://www.ambergriscayenews.com/html/archives.php?p=100908#_st2

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.