Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#368763 02/25/10 06:02 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Sorry I'm sure some of the regulars on this board have answered some of these questions many times before. I'm coming down with my husband and another couple on March 9th we are all around 40ish. We are staying at The Palms due to all the recommendations from this board. It's a bit more expensive than what we usually spend so I'm looking to save a little money while I am there and hopefully meet some of the interesting people that post on the board.

1. Bars and nights of the week to visit them?
2. Good inexpensive places to eat? any specific street vendors?
3. Must do day trip that includes a ruin and monkeys( I happen to love Spider monkeys)
4. What dive shop to use? My husband and I will probably only dive one day. We're not experienced enough to do the Blue Hole. I'm looking for a patient DM that will help me if I have a problem equalizing. I'm not that great at buyoancy control either. In return for the DM's patience I promise to tip good and listen to their suggestions
In return for all your help and for the fun I have had reading this board I'm willing to bring something small down. We are already bringing down some prizes for Be Kind Belize.

Kelly from MN #368773 02/25/10 08:06 PM
sticking to only what i know, the palms is really nice and you will like it there. nice beach, nice views, nice staff, romantic pool.

the only ruins trip i know of with monkeys is Lamanai - but it isnt cheap. i wanna say like $120 a person, but i think its worth it. a real Belize adventure. i recommend Tanisha tours (ad on right side of this page). no guarantee on monkey sightings, but we saw howlers and a spider.

we're always are on a budget too and save tons by eating half our meals in. the palms has a full kitchen - take advantage of it. have buns & breads from the bakery with coffee & jam from the market and locals fruits from the stand for breakfasts and snacks- yummy and healthy for a only a few dollars. there are lots of good small stands around town with inexpensive local foods from tacos to bbq chicken platters, complete with sides.

there are all kinds of fun things to do there that cost nearly nothing. staring endlessly at the reef is a real draw for me. talk to locals - everyone is happy to talk to you, walk up the beach to town, get up early for sunrise at least once, watch the kids swim at the cut, spend hour at estel's over a cup of coffee and a fry jack or a beer & burrito, snorkel off Ramon's dock (right next door)...

the rest i'll leave for those who know about that stuff. you'll have a great time!

sweetjane #368780 02/25/10 10:29 PM
K
K
whole deep fried snapper at the Reef. Get 2 3-4#s for you all, one should be a hog snapper if they have it. add some fried plantains-heaven on earth. you might spend $60 US

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish #368812 02/26/10 11:06 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks so much for the info! We really appreciate it. Is peanut butter expensive down there?

Kelly from MN #368815 02/26/10 11:13 AM
Compared to the US, yes!

dabunk #369199 03/01/10 10:49 PM
peanut butter in BZ is more expensive compared to anywhere I've ever seen. BYOP!

H
H
Use Ramon's to dive. Palma, Gill, and Adolfo are the best DM's to use from there. Just walk out the palms to the beach, turn right, and its the first dock you see. Doesn't get more convenient then that. If you are bringing your own stuff, be sure to ask them to use a locker.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.