Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hey All! First time posting on a Forum. My wife and I are coming down March 19th through the 26th. First time in Belize, staying at Corona Del Mar. Looking to move to San Pedro mid-year. Been doing alot of research online, but would love to meet with as much of the expat community as possible this trip to get good information from the people that live there. Any ideas on how to accomplish that, or would any of you be willing to meet with us at some point?

The Immortal Words Of Socrates: I Drank What?
Besides being jealous -- let me give you an objective warning as a non-ex-pat with wanderlust.

You've come to right place. Do research on this board to see others who have asked similar questions. Also, prepare to get a lot of devil's advocate advice to make you think twice. This is done out of genuine neighborly concern (by most anyway) and should be taken as a real attempt to get you thinking about things.

Out of the gate, the first thing you will hear is that 7-days isn't nearly long enough to understand the intracacies of daily living on the caye. Hope you plan on staying at least 30 at some point, in a rented establishment where you need to buy groceries, provide own transportation etc., before selling all your possessions.

Regardless, good luck. Too bad you're not there when I am so I can shake your hand and curse you for doing what I'd like to do myself smile

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Good advice from the Otterman
I made eight visits here before I made the move. Made deals on two different projects that fell through (thank God) before I settled on what is now known as Bermuda Palms. I had planned to keep my house in California and buy a small condo here; things changed sold house and boutht biggest condo in the complex.
I had not lived in anything but a private residence since 1965 so was not prepared for some of the things about condo life - although I absolutely love my unit.
I bought a jungle lot in the Tres Cocos area and designed a house. ha ha ha ha - cost twice as much as it should have so ran out of moola before it was finished. I do have the two rental units on the bottom done and now live here and lease out my condo which is also for sale.
I find I love the peace and quiet of a smal neighborhood and having total control over what I grow and what I have chopped down.
Over all I am very very happy - but there is a lot of soap opera drama on this little spit of sand. I wish Ex-pat's would leave their fears and need to control in the USofA.
When people ask me what do I do here my answer is "Whatever I feel like at the moment; or nothing at all."
If you want out of the USA now is not a good time to sell a house; lease it out for a year. Now is a good time to buy anyplace; even here. If you find something you like if you can get a lease with option to buy that would be the best.
Good luck.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 01/30/11 09:56 AM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OP Offline
Thanks Otteralum, I appreciate the feedback. Let me say that the March trip is our first, exploratory look at San Pedro, and will also be serving as a vacation and transition as we're both leaving our careers/jobs. Our intention is to be back sometime between June and August on an indeterminate basis to experience actual day-to-day living there. Practically all of our "stuff" is going to be in storage in the States pending the firming up of our plans. Should everything work out, we'd be buying a plot somewhere on the island, building a home, and eventually applying for permanent residence. If we ever are there at the same time, I'd love to meet!

Planning on working/earning a living in Belize?

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
Thanks Harriette, I really appreciate the feedback! We try to limit "helpful advice" we receive to the people that actually know what's going on, and information from people like you is priceless. If possible we look forward to meeting you on our trip in March!

OP Offline
Tommy/Sonia: There are still a number of decisions that we need to make before we know if it would be necessary to earn an additional living down the road, but at least to start out our intention is to be self-sufficient while we do our long-term research and work toward possible Residency. One of my goals is to have the time (and slow pace of life) to concentrate on writing. As a side note, off and on for many years I've been a Karaoke DJ (purely as a hobby) and have my own setup with all of the gear. No idea yet if that's already overplayed on AC though.

OP Offline
Speaking of which, where are the best places for a Karaoke junkie while we're there?

P
P
Wednesday evening at Roadkill - with a name like yours the pressure to win will be on!!!!

OP Offline
Pressure to win? Is it contest only, or is there also open mike?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.