Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Wanted to share my experience fly fishing on Ambergris Caye on 1/26/2011- In short it wasn't worth the money - I hooked up on one Bone fish for 2 seconds and broke off. The only other fish hooked was a small Barracuda which we were trying to avoid catching because you immediately brake off and loose your fly. I've done a lot of fly fishing for trout on streams using a 5 weight, but this being my first trip for Bone & Permit found multiple challenges: The weather - wind and light (difficult to see the fish and by the time they were spotted they spooked and only had a few seconds to cast 50 - 60 feet of line in 25mph wind. Better to plan your trip for April - October (best in May). I spent $275 for a guide and $67 on a shuttle flight plus $20 on a taxi. We seriously fished for 2.5 hours. If anyone is interested in more information e-mail me at [email protected]

Were you off a cruise ship with very limited time?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
I've been on the outside of the reef in 6 to 8 foot seas trolling for 6 hours straight without a bite......everybody has bad days.....was it worth it....every minute of it!!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
G
G
My husband has fished year round by fly. Any given day the fishing is good, the fishing is bad. Why should your bad experience be the one by which others should make decisions? How narcissistic. I think, just because you aren't a good SALT WATER fly fisherman, you should delete this post. Send Datallon a PM instead. You had to learn how to stream fish, so now you need to learn to flats fish. That shouldn't make you disgusted. It should give you a challenge. By the way, fly fishing isn't cheap anywhere, even if you live on Rock Creek!

G
G
Poor Izaak Walton is spinning in his grave right now!

Last edited by GwenA; 01/31/11 03:12 PM. Reason: Typo!
K
K
Wind, sightfishing, 50'-60' one haul casts. That's SW FFg, and are the regular complaints of unprepared/unsuccessful first time trout guys.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Originally Posted by GwenA
Poor Izaak Wakton is spinning in his grave right now!

Gwen, it's Izaak Walton!

G
G
Sorry...the L on my Ipad is next to the K!. When I'm exercised, my hand tends go fly! I have no problem with being humbled!

No problem, I just didn't want the wrong guy spinning in his grave grin

Thats why they call it fishing..not catching..

Reality..What a concept!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.