Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
We are considering moving to Belize to retire, and looking to gain any information on our first steps. We plan on going down late Spring, but wifee wants to find out any good or bad news. Thank you all and we hopefully look forward to seeing you all
Marty & Jessica

You will get all sorts of expert advice here. My suggestion is to come down and stay for a long while. Figure out where you want to live and if there is enough to keep you occupied in your retirement.
Lots of people that post on this board have done the same such thing as you are proposing. check this poem out for a starter...

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/426237/Belizean_Poem_Ode_To_The_Incom.html#Post426237

Belize is full of success and horror stories for retirees. A lot of it depends on your own frame of mind, the advice you follow and the expectations you have.

B
B
Visiting and renting for a bit definitely the way to go. And asking lots of questions...lots.

F
F
In my experience you will get some good advice here, and a large heaping of bad/sour grapes. Sprout has it right, rent and stay for a bit before you make any decision. My wife and I just spent 3 months renting there and although living in Belize permanently was not really our intent, it certainly opened my eyes a bit more to how things really work there even though it was my 5th trip there. I would recommend at least a 6 month stay before you make up your mind. I waffled back and forth about whether Belize was a place that I could live the next portion of my life in for most of the stay. In the end, if our situation was different we probably would have made a go of it, but circumstances just didn't allow for that opportunity. If you had asked me about living there after two months I would have told you "hell no". Live there, don't just visit, before you even consider making a move.

T
T
I have lived here on the island for about 10 years now. I made the move and never looked back. It really depends on what type of person you are and how you will adjust to living here on the island. Come down for a visit and speak to folks who have gone through the process.

Mostly living here is great but you will need to find things to occupy your time.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

future ex-pat that is great advice coming from experience. month one, great expectations, month 2 eye-opening time of frustration, month 3 making friends, learning the ropes, month 4 got friends, know most of the ropes, now what?, month 5 either happy as a pig in muck or starting to get island fever - Missing family, getting bored, not quite what you expected.

I love the island. I also love traveling. San Pedro is my home, and despite its faults I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. Maybe that will change if my kids move away or as we begin to age and if we develop health issues......

but for now - Don't Stop the Carnival.

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
future ex-pat that is great advice coming from experience. month one, great expectations, month 2 eye-opening time of frustration, month 3 making friends, learning the ropes, month 4 got friends, know most of the ropes, now what?, month 5 either happy as a pig in muck or starting to get island fever - Missing family, getting bored, not quite what you expected.

Ditto ditto ditto! Each month we're here brings a slightly different perspective on living on Ambergris Caye. We probably won't know for sure if this move will stick for the long run until we have been here a year or two. We moved here in August.

No matter what, we will not regret having made this move. Everything we've ever done in life, even those decisions that did not pan out, we learned from and experienced things we never would have if we'd stayed "home" instead of getting out there and trying. Better to try and decide it's not for you than to forever wonder "what if..."!

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
C
C
My parents went took a one year vacation to Belize and left me here when they went back to New York! Just kidding, I moved back as soon as I could. Dad loved it, Mom hated it, I missed Belize every minute I was in NY.

Take time to explore every corner of this tiny nation and all the region has to offer. It's an amazing place! Some time to adjust will be in order as things may be different than were you live now.

C
C
My boyfriend and I just came to Belize in September for a week and we loved it. We are considering moving to San Pedro and even looked at condos to buy while there. We did change our point of view by talking to lots of ex pats who told us to come and rent first and then decide. I definitely would talk to alot of people and get their opinion but also weigh everything that is said as everyone has an opinion (we heard good and bad). I have to San Pedro scoop gave me a ton of info (thanks Rebecca!) and we will come back again for a longer period of time. I have to say I fell in love with the island, the people (the characters !) and all there is to do. Good luck and hope you find what you want smile

The other good reason to rent first, even if you are absolutely sure Ambergris Caye is for you, is to figure out where on the island you want to be. You might make more friends in a certain area and decide you want to be close to them. You might like the secluded quiet of being farther north or south of town than most folks. Until you've actually lived here awhile, it's very hard to predict where you'll eventually decide you "fit".

Speaking from one who did not take the advice of renting first! smirk

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.