Next Thread
Print Thread
#434661 04/02/12 07:47 PM
D
dawg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Trip report to San Pedro Belize: March 24 to April 1, 2012

We stayed at the Conch Shell Inn: This is a great place right in front of the water taxis. There are only 8 units. We stayed in one of the upstairs units. The beds were comfortable but small. There was a mini fridge and a sink. There was a great deck with chairs and a couple of hammocks. We talked a little with owners Mark and Joan. They were very nice. We got most of our help from Eleanor who answered our questions and filled us in with information about San Pedro. She was very easy to talk to. It is not a fancy place but was perfect for our needs. I would stay there again.
Best meal: We had an amazing Seafood burrito at Waragumas. It had two HUGE crab claws, oysters on the half shell (I think), tons of shrimp, and fish. It had so much flavor. Deb and I shared it and it was plenty for both of us.
Other great meals and places to eat: Nierie's: The fry jacks were amazing and cheap. The watermelon juice was also tasty. El Fogon: We had great fried whole snapper, conch fritters, and key lime pie. Luis and Olive were very nice. Palapa Bar and Grill: We had ceviche there one day. It was pretty good. The conch fritters were delicious with a great sauce. There were few for the price but very yummy. The best ceviche for the price: The open door behind Cholo's was amazing. I believe we went there 5 or 6 times. The bakery by the soccer field(name?): We had great treats there several times. Lily's: Deb had some great shrimp scampi there. And it is right on the beach so you can't beat the view.
The place that we thought was okay but over- priced was The Reef. We looked at the menu and all the appetizers. The waiter told us that the seafood platter came with an appetizer so when we ordered we were waiting to let him know which one we wanted. He brought us some chips and salsa and said that was our appetizer. It was very misleading. I wouldn't go there again.
Activities:
1) We snorkeled with the guys that were right in front of the Conch Shell Inn. We went to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Our guide swam in front of us and pointed out all the sea life. He was very informative. He also held a nurse shark so we could touch it. Wow! I was a little disappointed with shark ray alley but it wasn't our guides fault, just bad timing I think. We only saw a couple rays and a shark or two.
2) We snorkeled several times at the end of some of the piers. Our favorite two were Wet Willie's and the pier just south of that one. Lots of cool fish.
3) We took a day trip twice to Caye Calker. We mostly hung around The Lazy Lizard. They had a delicious grilled barracuda and fried whole snapper. Another day we had great chicken burritos. We snorkeled along the split and really enjoyed that. I had a t-shirt "painted" by a lady. It turned out great and she was very sweet. I also bought a great walking stick/cane from the "guru". He is at peace with the world.
4) We took a sunset sail boat ride with "Seaduced". It was a very peaceful ride and they served us rum punches and belikins, ceviche, and fruit. It was a wonderful ride.
5) We rented bikes from Joe's bikes. I recommend exploring the beaches that way. We liked going North more than south. We went to Captain Morgan's and bought drinks and they allowed us to use their pool. We also had a nice chat with Danny, our bartender. It was a great trade off buying drinks and using the pool. We did the same thing at Grand Carribe. Beautiful pools and great views.
6) We went to the chicken drop at Wahoo's. It was a one- time experience. I wouldn't do it again but it was worth experiencing it. Deb got to hold the chickens before seeing where they pooped.
7) Best advice: Ask the locals but ask more than one person. Often the person you ask is related to the person that owns the place they recommend.

Dawg and Deb Swanson

The harder I work the luckier I get.
Originally Posted by dawg
Ask the locals but ask more than one person. Often the person you ask is related to the person that owns the place they recommend. Dawg and Deb Swanson

a great observation...

D
dawg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Bear, I was hoping to run into you and your wife. I have enjoyed your blog. Maybe next time. Dawg

The harder I work the luckier I get.
B
B
I also noticed a couple weeks ago that there were far fewer sharks and rays at Shark Ray Alley than in the past. I remember 10 years ago that the water just churned with them when the boat stopped.

Originally Posted by BrianH
I also noticed a couple weeks ago that there were far fewer sharks and rays at Shark Ray Alley than in the past. I remember 10 years ago that the water just churned with them when the boat stopped.

I think the number of sharks it depends on the time of day you get to shark-ray alley -- if a lot of people have been there already the fish have full bellies and are not as interested in the chum. That being said, I think the overall number is down from 10 or more years ago. Maybe Elbert can comment - he's been an observer for over two decades.

DAWG - nice report and thanks for sending. It's fun for your "advisors" to learn about the results of the advice!

I have also been told that at a certain time of the year they travel elsewhere to mate. A few times I have been there in years past, they have been scarce, but also know there were a lot of them out there early in March when we went with some friends. I'm sure Elbert or someone else can explain this as well.

Change your Latitude
Was great meeting you both and thanks again for starting our fundraiser off with a bang.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Well for sure you two got to live the dream
A GOOD THING, AS HAPPY LIFE EXPERIENCES ARE PRICELESS !!!!

Living The Dream Every Day!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.