Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The San Pedro Town Council has embarked in a Road Traffic Safety Campaign promoting safe driving in the island of San Pedro by placing large banners on the streets with safety tips as well as distributing safety tip flyers to all drivers. In addition, all speed bumps and street corners (no parking areas) are being given a paint job, and traffic signs are being fixed and placed. SPTC has also added a traffic warden to its Transport Department.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see photos in the Ambergris Today

Great work!

Indeed! Now if we could just get a few radar speed traps on the unincorporated roads. The island's coffers could be enriched for a time and the residents would be happier as well.

What is is about ownership of an actual vehicle on the Caye that lends itself to growing a lead foot?

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

San Pedro Traffic Control Committee commences Traffic Safety Campaign

With the number of motor vehicles on Ambergris Caye in the thousands, the new San Pedro Traffic Control Committee SPTCC has embarked on an ambitious "Traffic Safety Campaign" to bring the traffic situation under control. Elected councilor to the San Pedro Town Council Kenrick William Brackett, whose portfolio includes Vice Chair of the SPTCC, along with Councilor elect Wally Nu�ez spoke to The San Pedro Sun regarding the new campaign. "We are pretty much aware of the traffic situation. We are aware of the things that have been happening. We think that things have gone a little bit out of control and we need to curve that."

The committee has embarked on several strategies to achieve their goal. The first is the issuing of flyers that are distributed through golf cart rental business. The flyers outline specific violations, stating: NO to Underage Driving; NO to Drinking and Driving; NO to Speeding; NO to Reckless Driving; NO Excessive Noise. The flyer also promotes ALWAYS have a driver's license while driving a motor vehicle and ALWAYS wear a helmet when driving a motor cycle. The flyer also outlines road-worthy safety features such as working horns, lights, mirrors, etc and proper seating for ALL passengers, specifically warning against babies being carried on the laps of drivers.

One of the more visible moves by the committee is the hiring of two additional Traffic Wardens. Brackett informed, "Firstly I must say in transportation, in the traffic department, we are hiring two new wardens. I would like to get about four to six more new wardens but we're going to start with two and we think that is a step in the right direction."

The new wardens along with the two wardens presently tasked with monitoring the traffic situation on the island will be receiving new training that will enhance their effectiveness as they perform their daily duties. Brackett continued, "I have spoken to Assistant Superintendent Robinson who is the Officer in Charge of the San Pedro formation who will be training the wardens. She comes here highly recommended and she has a lot of experience in the department of traffic. We are going to be doing a lot of other trainings with her. I am happy to say that we are going to be working very closely with the police department." Training for the wardens started on Tuesday, April 3rd when they attended a one-hour training on "Driving under the Influence" with ASP Robinson.

Driving motorcycles safely and the wearing of helmets is one of the items high on the list of concerns for the committee.

"Most of all anyone riding on a motorcycle must wear a helmet. Loud music - we're not going to tolerate loud music; there will be no excessive loud music. We will be checking on lights, horns, mirrors, etc. We are highly discouraging babies being carried on the laps of drivers. This practice affects your driving. We want to encourage your public to just be careful. We also especially ask that all public officials, government workers to take the initiative and show the example by following these traffic regulations. If riding a motorcycle, wear your helmets. I assure you that we will be giving you tickets."

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

I only hope the new administration sees the extreme importants of using its resources to ticket the tourists who inadvertantly leave their drivers license in their hotel. They present a hazard to the taxis when the taxis must reduce their speed until they can pass the tourist who is driving at the legal speed limit and resume their normal driving speed. sick

Ah geez BeDubYah, you're always so to the point so much faster than the eye...

(No babies on the drivers lap) This practice affects your driving.
Not to mention that the baby basically becomes the air bag in the event of a crash...(as crass as that may sound I'm sure you see the missing point)

I'm glad to see some action on the part of the SPTC with respect to this issue. Our last rides into and in town during were Mr Toad's Wild Ride personified...

Unfortunately, the law about helmets only seems to cover the driver. I don't know how many times I see daddy driving with a helmet and momma and baby on back without one. It will only take one unnecessary death to change this.... but why wait?

Change your Latitude
I was driving south last night around 7:30 and noticed a traffic check point by the gas station on coconut drive just before making the turn south. It would be interesting to know what tickets were issued.
I would think that would make for an intersting follow up article in a local newspaper to see how the new policy is being enforced.

Last edited by bywarren; 04/08/12 09:32 AM.
E
E
Wow ! A checkpoint at that location would be hard to dodge.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

More Speed Bumps, More Wardens, Traffic Safety Continues

The San Pedro Town Council embarked on a Road Traffic Safety Campaign in early April with intentions to promote safe driving on the island. During the campaign banners were placed all over town while speed bumps and street corners (no parking areas) were given a paint job.

"Presently we have placed speed bumps by the San Pedro R.C. School and the San Pedro High School," commented Councilor Brackett to Ambergris Today. "These speed bumps were purchased by the previous administration and we are currently using them as a test to see if this will work better than having pedestrian ramps."

Click here to read the rest of the article and more photos in the Ambergris Today

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.