Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi Everyone

I'm trying to find out if there is anyone on Ambergris Caye who does pottery and has their own kiln?

A not for profit group is looking at exploring options for making ceramic water filters locally.

Thank you so much

LB,

Interesting project. Can you elaborate on the ceramic involved? What kind of cone temps would you need?

With kilns requiring substantial energy for a high temp firing I'd be surprised if there were one on the island. We used to do firings with diesel in college at a friends backyard kiln but we couldnt get much better than about cone 5-6(on a good firing day) and he had to change out to natural gas to do his salt firings at cone 10. Diesel was cheap back then and it isnt now.

Obviously there's no natural gas on the island. Not familiar with butane as a fuel for kilns but its probably costly as well, so that pretty much leaves electricity. Ouch.

There used to be a couple of kilns on the island - a couple of artists had them and then sold them when they moved ..... I cannot recall who bought them - too long ago. Will try to search my memory banks on this and see if after a while I can remember.

L
L
I think Marie Parham bought one of them.

R.B. Mernitz
Well there you go LB, proved wrong and glad for it! Good luck.

Yep - it was Marie!
She got the large one from Iguanna Jack.
The Sands in the middle of town is where you can find Marie when she is on the island.

L
LBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you so much for your help!

C
C
I was interested to hear the reply for this one. I had a friend/teacher who built a woodfire kiln in his yard. It got to Cone 10 and we got some really cool stuff out of that. Of course, I am in New England and we burn oak and other hardwoods here.

*Namaste*
Cara
Yeah Cara, no doubt. We weren't getting anything but Raku glazes out of a pit kiln fired with redwood, doug fir, or the odd batch of stems and seeds.

Way back in the day when the Maya ruled Belize and lived on Ambergris Caye, too, they used lime-plastered pit kilns, fired with charcoal and wood, and did some very cool pots and other pottery. No wheel-thrown pottery, though -- just slab and coil.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.