For San Pedro and Caye Caulker

Mrs. Miriam Carlene Codd Pott is San Pedro and Caye Caulker's new District Education Officer. Pott comes to the cayes with over fifteen years of experience working in the field of Education. Pott attended TCC Toledo Community College, after which she moved on to the Belize Teacher's College where she graduated in 1996. She then acquired a Bachelors of Science in Primary Education in 2002 from the University of Belize. Following this, Pott left the country to further her studies at the University of Lethbridge in southern Alberta, Canada where she received her Masters in Primary Education in 2009.

Returning to Belize, immediately after completing her studies in Canada, Pott was employed by the Ministry of Education in the capacity as an Education Officer in 2009. Prior to this, she worked as a teacher for some twelve years. In San Pedro, Mrs. Pott hopes that her skills and experience will prove helpful in solving some of the many problems that exist in the schools here on the island.

"I am currently looking at the statistics for the schools; the high school and tertiary levels, the partnership with the University of Belize. The picture is getting wider for San Pedro. I'm still looking at data for the performance of the students while learning the geography, the demographics, where people live, where the schools are, where the northern side is and the southern side and central. Learning how to drive around the one way streets."

In speaking of the apparent lack of space at the primary level, Pott commented. "I am aware of the lack of space at the primary school level. I am still looking at the options between the private and the grant aided schools. I'm looking at that reality. Coming to terms with what options are available to us. I don't think there will be no magical solution. I feel though, that as the community concerns grow, their commitment to education likewise will grow. I don't believe we have weighed all our options. I see a light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to putting ALL children into school and I believe that our Ministry is ready. We no longer do things FOR people. We work WITH people. If people don't know this is the problem then they won't know how to fix it."

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun